Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHAT'S NEW IN LISBURN?

For all the locals or even recent visitors what's new in the Old Town?
John

Re: WHAT'S NEW IN LISBURN?

The Castle gardens has been converted into a building site, the Lagan Belle has ceased to ply her trade and Hilden mill has closed down.
Donald

All the people, the rest are dead

HI John .
New civic centre were Island Mill stood ,New swimming complex , also different nationalality's eateries and resturant's, beside the old Lisburn Golf Club .New bow street shopping mall.Smithfield square shopping complex , underground car parking , Linen centre and museum , in place of old assembly room's . Castle garden's having a makeover , with connecting axcess to Bridge Street , should be ready in July. New Fire Headquarter's in Seymour Street. New Fire Station . Shopping complex at Young Street. And old Hillsborough Road .
All i can think of at the moment .
Tommy

Re: Re: WHAT'S NEW IN LISBURN?

The old Maze prison is the proposed new sports stadium with all the sports played there, rugby, football, gaelic, and all the rest. Belfast are not very pleased but the money from government is going to the Maze

Re: Re: Re: WHAT'S NEW IN LISBURN?

Sounds great Marg about time they all used their heads and have realised a new stadium at the maze is a winner on all counts.

Hi Tommy
Things have been busy by the sound if it all.
Where did they put the underground car park?
John

Surely Fraser you can do better than that mate!
John

Re: Re: Re: WHAT'S NEW IN LISBURN?

There is a new square where the market used to be, I think it is called Lisburn Square with shops on the ground floor and apartments on the second. The car park is under this. At the side of the grounds of Christ Church, a new bus station is nearly complete.The corner looks a lot better. By the way if you lived at home now if you are over 65 you are entitled to a travel pass and from April you can travel all over Ireland on public transport for free. I am going to Dublin for the day next Wednesday. Times are certainly changing ! Its free now but you need to get your ticket this side of the border.

Why do women in Norniron have to wait until they are 65?
On the mainland women get a free pass at 60.

Hi John .

As Margaret has already said, the car park is under ground , were the old Tuesday Market , and the old swimming pool used to be .

Tommy

Hi Tom
Yep know where it is now.
Thankyou.
John

Hi All .

A little bit of Trivia, Menary's drapery store is now moved to a new large store in the Bow Street Mall , and the Robin's Nest Pub is now refurbished , and named The Garden .

Tommy .

Everything is new in Lisburn the old sod is changed beyond recognition it is a City now. I knew Brian & Willie who was in the same class in Lisburn Boy,s school. Jimmy my brother is now in Sydney Australia did u know him? I used to live in Brookville Drive at the bottom of Ridgeway St. Lisburn. Joe Burns

Hi Joe .

Would you be related to Kevin , Jimmy and Sean Burns, who lived in Church Street .They had an aunt named Maggie who lived in Ivan Street, in the early day's she kept pig's .

Regard's

Tommy .

Bang on target. I am a cousin of Sean Jimmy & Kevin. My Aunt Maggie is now dead , she was my father,s sister, he was Tommy Burns the butcher, who worked for Drake,s in Bow Street. Church Street is now gone, incorporated into the new estate of "The Big Valley" the locals nickname for it. Jimmy lives there. Glad to make your aquaintance. Joe

Hi Joe .

Thank's for information , I remember Kevin was a butcher , i think in Green's , i used to play with Sean or Seaney as he was called in our childhood . I think he is dead , And i am not sure of Jimmy or Kevin if they are still living . My Father and mother's garden , are now were the new Police station is built . Sean had a great friend in Brendan Mc Curry who lived up the street, near Hill Street.

All the best .

Tommy

Seaney is a dedicated fisherman, lives in Manor Park Longstone,is married with children probably grown up. Jimmy is a bachelor & lives in "The Big Valley" which is the housing estate built where Hill ST Church ST & the surrounding fields were right up to the Dublin Rd. Kevin is a widower, still in Lisburn. Only see them now at funerals or when some of the family r sick r in hospital the usual when we move away. Good luck. Joe Burns.

Hi Joe .

Many thank's for the information , Great to hear the brother's are alive and as well as can be expected. Sure that is the way all families meet up at wedding's , and funeral's.

All the best .

Tommy .