Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lungs and mind

I seem to recall that people with serious respiratory problems ended up in Musgrave, and those mentally disturbed, in Antrim. Is that correct, were my informants misguided, or is senility rearranging my thoughts again?

Re: lungs and mind

dabbler
don't know about antrim but musgrave is as you say i visited my granny there for quite a while if i remember it was the train to balmoral and a pleasant walk to the hospital was a boy then but on my own to visit

but on thinking of it it was a saying then if some unfortunate was missing it was said they've taken him/ her to antrim

The hospital at Antrim was called Hollywell, I think.
Once played football there. Scary place.

Thanks guys. Lowroader, I hope you were on the right side.

I got out.

Forster Greens in Belfast for the lung patients and Hollywell in Antrim for the mentally disturbed.
Donald

Re: Re: lungs and mind

Hollywell had some good dances there now and again.

Re: Re: Re: lungs and mind

i seem to remmembera place called purisburn for mental patients

Harold - Purdysburn; spot on! If I were still 'at home', I think they would have whipped me away there.
I wonder if they took George McComiskey there? That last remark is not meant to be insulting. Amusing at the time to teenagers like myself, but maturity had me wondering about him. Apparently, he used to defy his parents by coming in late, making himself a meal, and then throwing the crockery into the coal hole. This may have been one of those old Lisburn tall tales, but I wonder too if George recovered from what was obviously some sort of breakdown?

Harold Mc Bride are you any relation to Nellie and Wslter McBride?

Re: Re: lungs and mind

no

Re: Re: Re: Re: lungs and mind

When I was a wee girl my sister got Scarlet Fever and she had to go to Purdisburn Fever Hospital. Maybe there was another wing to that hospital.

Joan
At my age I don't know my mind from my lungs, or my arts from my rainbow.
Harold may be like myself
My wee brother had scarlet fever, so that could be how I remember the name.
Joe