Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radio Fun

Tommy McKay mentioned Dick Barton on the radio and it started me thinking. I am now 70 and remember the old radio shows like, Have-a-go with Wilfred Pickles, Itma with Tommy Handley, Much Binding in the Marsh with Kenneth Horne, Rays a laugh, and more. My mother's favourites were housewife's choice, Mrs Dales Dairy and Workers Play time,boy, time sure has flown.

Beano

Re: Radio Fun

Beano, what about The Man in Black? Can you recall his name? a wee bit of trivia. ps got W.Pickles autograph and Barneys also, you remember The Ghost Train?

Re: Re: Radio Fun

Hi Fraser,

Valentine Dyall was the man in black, I don't remember the "Ghost Train"

Beano

Beano,
I'm not sure if it was Tommy Handley, Its That man Again, or someone else but for years, when I think of the radio comedy shows, this verse goes through my mind and I can't remember any other lines but the verse was 'Down in the jungle living in a tent. Better than a prefab----No rent. And what about 'Jennifer". Dick Bartons sidekick was Snowy White. I got into jazz in those days and used to tune into Luxemborg, the American Forces Network, Could receive it even with a crystal set. Are crystalls still around? Sean

Hi Sean ,

Well what do you know , here's me all these year's thinking Snowy White was a man, The same as Paul Temple and Steve . Steve being a lady . We are all bamboozeld through life , one way or another.
All the best .

Tommy

The show was Itma with Tommy Handley

Tommy, Snowy White WAS a man. Sean

Hi Sean ,

Thank's again , i got my Jennifer's , mixed up with my Snowey's . That is the blessing being a senior citizen , we are allowed to make a few mistakes , and then we are called an old fool.
ALL THE BEST

Tommy,

"I think the answer lies in the soil."
"I make no bones about it. I'm looking for somebody to love."

Workers playtime ring a bell?