Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favourite Bookies

Do we have any tales from our favourite bookies shop.
I liked the one in Antrim Street can't think of the name now.
But he always had the footbal betting, loved the place

Re: Favourite Bookies

The bookies name in Antrim Street was Jack McKees.
Regards Em

Re: Re: Favourite Bookies

Hi Em
Thankyou for that i just couldn't remember the name at time of post...

John, Emily,

The Antrim st bookie was the one I used to place my sixpenny accumulaters with. Was there another SP shop in what I recall as sackville st where the library is now.
Sean

Hi Sean,
Was it located beside where the wee hall was, the billiard room was up stairs off memory.

John...

Re: Re: Re: Favourite Bookies

Sorry John, Your clues don't help me remember more. I do recall however, a two-up school down the bottom of Pipers Hill. It was open ground, and the belt man worked hard to keep a clear circle. Sean

Re: Re: Re: Re: Favourite Bookies

I think the bookies John is talking about was part of what used to be the old Blacksmith's shop.

The subject "My Favourite Bookie" is a no no for me, I was never keen on anyone who I lost money to let alone be my favourite.
The bookie I lost most to was Geordie Long in the middle of Bridge St, down an alley as usual, behind the pub.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favourite Bookies

Yes Beano,
I remember that one now got hammered they many a day when i did go in.
What was the one called behind Haiges pub on the Longstone.

There was a "Toss" at the back of Georgie Long,s as Dabbler mentioned earlier in the forum here where the " Beltman" kept order. Fortunatly I learned my lesson concerning gambling very early in life.Once as an apprentice in Mackies, coming home in the train one Friday 45 years ago. I lost my wages ( 43 shillings ) betwen Belfast and Hilden and had to explain to my Dad . From that day I never gambled again. It was at the time a very hard lesson but in the course of life has probably saved me a large amount of cash ( which enabled me to enjoy other aspects of life, including Beer and other finer things ) ! Speaking of beer I,m looking forward to the re-opening of the Munich Biergarten season, hopefully in the not too distant future, including all the pleasant accompanying events and sights.
Donald

Yes Donald i remember the toss now watched but never played.
There used to be big crowds at if too.
John