Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wallace Park

I was disappointed last summer when I saw the "soccer" field surrounded by the bicycle track at "Wally Park" in major disrepair.In fact the track has been dug up. I remember hearing stories that soccer was once played there and the bicycle track was surrounded by hundreds of spectators. Does anybody know who use to play there. I remember Lisburn Rugby Club used it as well before they moved to Sprucefield.
Gerry

Re: Wallace Park

Gerry,
I , like you, only remember a rugby pitch inside the track, used by Lisburn Academicals RFC as they were then.

The football pitch was a mud heap on the other side of the cricket pitch next to a hockey pitch used by South Antrim HC.
It could, of course, have changed. I have been a long time away.
LR

Re: Re: Wallace Park

Great things were predicted for the track when it was opened by Reg. Harris, I recall it well and Reg. gave me his autograph, never seen a man with such hugh thigs and leg muscles, but like all else new councils etc. have different priorities. Guess the park will end up someday as a housing estate.

I have previously written on here about seeing Reg Harris. I am amused by the reference to his big thighs, and new Councils' priorities. Some members of my present Council...... No. Better not.

The cycle track was originally to be a dual purpose track for athletics and cycling.With no banking at either end,unfortunately the Council was persuaded by the NICF and a cycling club from Belfast namely Maryland Wheelers to build the track aolely for cycling despite the fact that Lisburn had a thriving athletics club(Lisnagarvey harriers). I remember well the night the track was opened with the cyclists on the pristine new track and the athletes running on the grass inside the perimeter of the cyle track .this new found enthusiasm for cycling was shortlved the running track was useless and the rest is history

Re: Re: Re: Wallace Park

fraser
wallace park ending up a housing estate?

this has been talked about before apparantly lord wallace left the park for lisburn people for antiquity for peace and enjoyment; and that has snookered the council for development. they still pressed on but a lot of people banded together called save wallace park and hired a big gun barrister and it still seems to go on that the council cannot sell it cause it doesn't belong to them

so they just ignore maintenance of it? what a pity do you remember the rose gardens chestnut trees grandstand silver band on occasions big pity
good luck tom

Re: Re: Wallace Park

Sorry everyone can't help much about the park.
I was in the pubs most of the time :-)

Re: Re: Re: Wallace Park

Remember Wallace Park well. Walked through it A LOT from Llewelly (n) Ave to Wallace High. Was there the night the "track" opened. Also "had" Harris' autograph..lost it. Played rugby for the "accies" in the center of the track. Played hockey, collected chestnuts,drank from the fountains, watched cricket,jumped into piles of leaves. Long time ago, sometimes feels like yesterday. Sorry to hear that "progress" has been trying to turn it into more runnoff.Hope it can make it into "the green belt". Y'all still have Green belts"? Last time there was in '99. didn't look too bad..guess progress has caught up. Hope to see it this year. Allen H.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wallace Park

I saw it last August and the track was very dead. I remember riding my bike there. I used to walk past it on the way home from Wallace High to the Belsize road. Also played rugby there.

Great spot for courting.