Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ghosts and such like.

Can anyone really say they say a ghost or other such like?

Re: Ghosts and such like.

Frazer,
I went on a ghost tour in Port Arthur, the old convict penitentiary down the bottom of Tasmania and the site of the Bryant massacre in 1996. It was dark of course but I had a video camera with a light. Every time the tour guide referred to ghosts frequenting the various places, and there were lots of them, I hung back and took some video under lights. Didn't catch a ghost but the guide did ask me to leave. Can't trust some people.

Sean

fraser
as i young boy i asked my aunt jinny if there were such things as ghosts she smiled and said no when you die you go to heaven or hell. if you go to heaven you don't want to come back. if you go to hell you can;t get back
the best and most logical explanation i've ever heard and works still

good luck tom

hi fraser i knew a guy called ross freeman lived at the bottom of millbrook who ran like hell everytime he passed the graveyard in millbrook he must have seen something that scared the livin daylights out of him as he was 25 years old at the time

Re: Re: Ghosts and such like.

My father, Sam Martin, lived in Millbrook Cottage and the field in front of the house ran into the graveyard. On the left side of the house was the race with all the wild sweet pea growing. Anyway, my Dad used to tell us ghost stories of the graveyard but he ended up admitting that they were the ones doing it. Apparently some men would come down Millbrook drunk and Dad and his friends would hide in the graveyard and when the person came close to the graveyard they would get up in the trees and scare the hell of the person. Many a tale he told us about the Millbrook graveyard. Some true and some not.

Hi Fraser
Yeah had a brush with one.
I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and bent over
the basin rinseing when something touched my ass on the way past.
But never done it since...

Ach away er that wit ya John! Must have been the wife!

Liz

Once I was drinking tea in a somewhat dark room. Every time I drank from the mug I felt a sharp pain in my left eye. I thought also the room was haunted until I realised I had forgotten to remove the spoon from the cup
Donald

I know a few people who claim to have seen ghosts, and as I mentioned earlier I have taken a photograph that shows two ghosts. I can recall an incident many years ago that made the Lisburn Star. A chap was walking past the Chains at Lambeg towards Ballyskeagh, when the figure of a Nun appeared and moved beside him as he walked. When he tried to speak to the Nun she disappeared, leaving him in a state of shock. He was found collapsed in a phone box and was reported to have all the symptoms of someone who had experienced something very frightening, including his hair turning from dark to rapidly grey.
That started a series of pranks along the Ballyskeagh road with people dressing up as Nuns and pretending to be ghosts. The police investigated and caught teenagers up a tree dangling a Nun like gown on a fishing line in front of cars. Quite funny after the fact but they did manage to frighten quite a few people before being caught.
Terry

Some of you probably remember the story of James Haddock the Highwayman(The Headless Horseman).When we were in our teens 15/16, we were told we could see his ghost at Drumbeg Churchyard where he is buried in a vault. About five of us guys being so brave went down to Drumbeg, we lay in the longish grass to wait,after about a 1/2hr., it was getting dark,when one of my mates let out a yell,he yelled that hard he frightened himself. I for one took off and actually ran through the hedge and didn't stop till I had reached Graceys Factory, I never found out if there ever was a ghost, I never went back to find out.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Ghosts and such like.

Hi Beano,
A friend of mine here in Brampton is a nephew of the Smiths who owned the shop on Mercer Street. He says the shop was haunted upstairs. Apparently footsteps could be heard and the piano would play when there was no one up there. Have you ever heard stories of that?
He also claims to have seen a ghost while down visiting Haddocks grave.
Terry

No Liz,
The beauty of it she was fast asleep in bed.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh

John

Who remembers the gohst stories about Hunter,s corner? As boys coming back from swimming at the Beetlers around dusk we ran past . It was a favourite spot for courting couples nevertheless and no doubt some Lisburn citzens have it to thank for their existence.
Donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghosts and such like.

Hi Terry,

I was in "Sissy Smith's" many times. Albert Morrison used to ride the message bke for the Smiths, and he always told me he thought the place was haunted. I remember one time Sissy asked me if I would help Albert who was actually helping Sam and Bob Smith to move a lot of stuff. There was abit of a rumbling noise from the back and Sam Smith without blinking an eye, told us we had just disturbed the ghosts who normally were not active at that time of the day. I think it was a ploy to get us to work a bit harder......... but then you never know.

Hi Donald .

Could you enlighten me , where is Hunter's Corner , and also The Beetler's .

And oblidge .

Tommy.

Tommy
The beetlers was was a pool where we used to swim beside the Lagan between Lambeg bridge and the High bridge where tree trunks were soaked prior to being made into beetling rollers for use in the bleaching works where the Coca Cola factory now is. Thus the name beetlers. Hunter,s corner is halfway between Hilden bridge and Lambeg bridge where the Lagan canal made a sharp bend where once Glenmore factory was. Opposite was a coal quay used by the factory. It was a raised flat, grassy mound , favoured by courting couples and some of the Hilden men and boys held a " card school" there. It was supposedly haunted.
Donald

Hi Donald, Regarding Swimming,
Did you ever swim in Gordans pool on the top of a hill behind the big house there was two dressing rooms at it many a summer's day was spent there, and then there was the point when you swam across there you could say you could swim. Regarding poker school's do you remember the one at hilden Halt?
Regards Ted.

Hi Ted
I remember Gordons pool but never swam in it, the one time I ventured up to it we were chased by the night watchman ( Wilkie I think he was called ).
I played in the poker school at Hilden halt, Victor Young, Tommy Roberts , Harry Flynn who emigrated to Australia and Jimmy Mcclure played also, but to mention but a few.
Donald

A 'haunting' took place in Pipers Hill in the mid fifties. Sprinkling of holy water, exorcism, the lot. I was in England, but heard about it. Was it reported in the local newspapers? Maybe my aunt Mary, God rest her soul, was imagining it, and all her family too, but she gave big John Martin a packet of fags to sit downstairs with them and watch the closed door to the stairs as the clock struck twelve. He sat there with a poker in his hand, smoking his Woodbine or Players, with Mary and all the children huddled around in blankets, frightened to go to bed. At the stroke of twelve from the clock, footsteps were heard coming down, the door opened, one of the children cried out, "I can see it!" and the family all rushed out into the street. They almost beat John to the front door.

Hi Donald .

Many thank's for info on The Beetler's , and Hunter's Corner . Now all i have to find out were is Gibson's Bight is on the lagan . And i will be a happy man .

All best wishes.
Tommy