Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wild tales

With the TA in Hawick, Scotland, 1953-4, I was out walking with Laurence McShane, Shaun Hamilton, and Ken Burns. We were approached by an aggressive local man, breath reeking of alcohol, who waved a knife in our faces, and said that we thought we were bigshots in our uniforms, and he was going to cut us up, I'm not sure of his exact words, but in saying them to young welterweight Ken Burns he was making an unfortunate mistake. I could swear Ken was grinning as he let fly with a terrific right to the jaw. The knife fell from the man's hand as his head bounced on the side of the road. I hope he got home ok. We just moved him to a safe place on the pavement, and went on our merry way.

Re: wild tales

Dabbler
Were you in the TA when the Suez crisis came about?
I remember a local Hilden man Jim McDermot was also in it and there was talk that they would all be called up, he was very worried. Fortunatly nothing came from it. Didn,t they also have a training camp somewhere on Salsbury plain?
Donald

Dabbler: The Ken Burns you mention - did he use to live on Warren Park Drive and his sister's name was Margaret?

Donald, I was only in for about a year, and, fortunately for the British Army, didn't get called up. Although I truly was a first class marksman, I was, in most other respects, a bit like Stan Laurel.

Daphne, that is correct.

Re: Re: wild tales

Daphne,

Ken Burns lived about directly opposite your house. He was a year ahead of me at St Josephs and he had a younger brother in my class but I can't recall his name. Sean

Re: Re: Re: wild tales

Sean: We lived at #19, next door was Mrs. Anderson,
then Croziers, McBratney's and then Burns. I have been in touch with Sam McBratney and he very graciously sent me some of his books. Your name seems very familiar - did you live down by old Moore's shop.

Daphne

Sean
Do you know if Sean Garland is still alive? John Burns was the name of Ken and Margaret's brother.

Re: Re: wild tales

Daphne, We lived at 33 Warren Park, opposite Moore's shop and down a bit. Next to Laffin's field. Dabbler, Can't seem to recal a Sean Garland.
Sean