Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
characters

All the Low Roaders should recall the Skin Man who travelled around collecting the skins to feed the pigs.He was pulled by a wee donkey while he was sitting on a two wheeler cart. What a job that was, looked more like a fly catcher.,I am still trying to locate Sally Lunn nee Bush, any help will be appreciated.

Re: characters

Frazer would you be talking about the Blaney's from Tullnacross they had a couple of 40Gall drums on the back of the cart and they tipped the buckets of skins into the drums.
Good Luck Ted,

Re: Re: characters

Hi Ted, you got it right first time, really going back awhile, best wishes,Fraser

Anyone recall Hookie Bell or Hooker Thompson?, if not I shall fill you in later.

Re: Re: characters

Hi Fraser,

Hookie Bell was a Lisburn cricketer,I use the term loosely, I think he gave away more runs in the field,than he ever scored. However, he was quite the character.

Beano

The Thompson family lived in Garvey terrace, the son Hooker ( Kevin ) Thompson was about my age and a very good footballer, he served an apprenticeship in the shipyard as a sheetmetal worker. We used to travel to Belfast each morning from Hilden Halt.
After the Blaneys / Mallons stopped collecting " skins " because they moved from " Tullnabuck " to Ravarnett a gentleman called Burns from Derriaghy ( whose son Eddie was in my class in the Tech 1956 )made the rounds.
Donald

Donald, at the risk of sounding like that Michaeleen Og Flynn in The Quiet Man, would there have been a young Seamus Mallon, and would one of the Blaneys have been Agnes?
Or mebbe ah'm talkin' out o' the back o' me....?

Dabbler
Agnes doesn,t ring a bell, Mary has a famaliar ring, Dinny also . There were twin boys my age Seamus and Chris Mallon who were in my class, besides a few older ones. Old Mrs Blayney was head of the family. I don,t remember a Mr Blayney.