Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pickering Family

Hi All
There was family by the name of Pickering who lived in Plantation Road and they moved to Australia in 1954. Do any of Forum readers know of them.
From memory there was MR & Mrs Pickering and the children's names were Raymond,Morris,Doris,Neville, Hilary,Delores & Freddie.
Myrtle & Harry stayed in Lisburn.
Regards
John

Re: Pickering Family

The Pickering Family went to Hill Hall School and lived on the Hill Hall Road. yes, you have the family all right. At some point they moved to Australia, and came back and built a large house on the Plantation Road I think it was, to my knowledge
it was one of the first houses that had great big pillars. I think they were supporting a balcony on the 2nd floor.

Someone else may have more info or more details. Since moving to Canada I have lost track of the family. If you really want to know I will ask my
still Lisburn connections.

Raymond

Hi Raymond.
Thank you for the reply.
The Pickering's lived in the row of houses beside Gracey's Factory. They were builders and built two homes beside each other on Plantation road. The one closest to the town was the Parents and Harry lived in the other.
They had a builders yard at the rear of Munce's Building on the Saintfield road, The daughter Myrtle, married to Francie Marks lived in one of the houses.
I have a photograph taken before their departure for Australia in 1954.
Only curious as to where they settled, I used to chum around with Neville.
Are you from the Hillhall and have a sister Elizabeth?
Regards
John

Re: Re: Pickering Family

Raymond, are you Inezs brother? dont know if spelling is ok.Doris was my fav..

Re: Re: Pickering Family

Hi John and Raymond,

I remember the Pickerings very well, especially Doris and Neville. A few of us guys had a crush on Doris,she wouldn't have anything to do with any of us. She doesn't know what she missed..........all that poverty etc.

Beano

I'm from Orr's Lane in Hill Hall, I don't have a sister, what Mercer are you? My Mercer relatives
lived near Dr. McCandless, there was Jim, Ann and Betty.

Ann and Jim still live in Lisburn area, are you still in the Lisburn area?

I am not Inez's brother. She had two brothers,
Will (deceased) and Morell). We all lived in Orr's Lane.

and James Buchanan who used to go around in a pony and truck was my uncle.

re james buchanan

hi raymond i used to help muck out james buchanan pigs and feed his pony oats and bran many trips we made delivering groceries around hillhall our pay was a farl of soda bread home made fresh of the griddle and a mug of buttermilk wow great times