Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Golf Club

Any caddies around? I remember caddying for Vern Boyle, Herbie McNally and a few others for two shillings a round. Herbie's bag was a lot lighter and he might have paid a bit less. Hanging around the Lisburn Golf Club Clubhouse at the bottom of Longstone St every Sat was a fixture for us budding golfers. Sometimes we Warren Parkers climbed the fence early and played a few holes, the 5th, then to the 7th and the 3rd and back to the 5th. Norman Briggs was one of us and now a good golfer I hear. I do play golf but not very well. Sean

Re: Lisburn Golf Club

I remember Jimmy Topping once telling he also caddied for Vern Boyle and a Mr Stevenson who owned the garage at Chapel Hill
Donald

Or is my memory playing tricks and Vern Boyle owned Stevensons?
Donald

Sean
Did you see Patsy Logue on your travels? Fitzpatrick used to call us boys to look out the window to see Patsy heading over the Golf Course to do a bit of caddying, when he should have been in school.

Was Patsy Logue a brother of Eddie Logue who introduced the " Bee Bop " haircut to Lisburn? He had a barbers shop in Bridge St and employed Patsy Dornan from Hilden ( Tam Dornan,s son ). I got my first ( and only ) Bee Bop there, my dad kicked my ass when I came home. Can anyone imagine today a parent chastising an offspring because of a haircut? In those days people worried too much about what the neighbours thought!
Donald

Patsy - PJ - was a jockey for a while, and laughed when he came back to Lisburn, having failed to 'make it', saying that none of us could ever claim that they jumped the second last alongside Tim Molony. He had older brothers, Billy, Danny, and Arthur.

Re: Re: Lisburn Golf Club

Donald, I seem to remember that Vern Boyle had a jewellers shop but I don't think he had the garage. Sean