Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Photographs

Hi all
I have published a photograph of Central School, on the old photographs page, which Thomas McKay sent to me. If you know what year it was taken or anybody in the photograph please email me at
info@lisburn.com
Happy and Prosperous New year to all

Re: Photographs

Happy New Year to all our readers!
I have emailed Jim to say I distinctly remember Jimmy Spence, back, middle, in the Central photo, and was delighted to see many boys, plus the teacher, whose names I recognised in the St Joseph’s photo.
Keep writing; I sometimes think that I’ll not bother anymore, but nostalgia and curiosity pulls me back. This time I had a serendipitous experience on seeing these photographs.
Besides, I DO love ‘talking’, and anyway, I know Miss O’Boyle would love/have loved to see words like serendipitous from a wee scallywag like me.

Some smashing memory provoking school photos turning up. Thanks Jim, and photo-owners. Jimmy O'Hara. Maurice Clark, Dickie Hanna, great to see them. I remember Joe Allen, too, name and features, though not one detail of how or why.
Sorry I can't remember the girls. I was a skinny wee ugly thing, and would have been scared to look at them.

Hi Dabbler.

Do not despair , look at Frank Sinatra , he was skinney and look at the girl's he had.But i am sure you are well pleased wih the girl you married .Re - garding the school photograph of ST Joseph's two pupil's one Donal Gorman worked in his father's barbour's shop where Mc CALL'S is now, and also Pat Sherdan lived in Church Street.Do not think of stopping the story's of yesteryear,as i for one a new kid on the block would miss your crack, and when i started you encouraged me to keep writing.

All Best Wishes And Good health for 2007.

Tommy

Tommy, I don't need much encouraging -See Ted's schoolmates. I'm off again
Paul McKeown lived up there too. Church Street or Barrack Street.
Was Phylis Patterson (Sloan Street picture 1951) Jackie's daughter, and did she marry Harold Spence?
I remember a wee girl called Smiley, but I think her first name was Sylvia.

Hi Dabbler .

I remember Paul Mc Keown , tall fair hair , he lived in the last house next to Christ Church at the corner.Next door Frankie Heasley the pigeon man and his mother . I did not know Mrs Patterson , but Harold Spence and his brother Brian used to walk up and down the Fly Side on sunday night's as we all did . I am thinking you should learn that wee song OF ALL THE GIRLS' I HAVE LOVED BEFORE, cheeky monkey.
Just a bit of fun.

Good Health for 2007

Tommy

Tommy
I was looking at the names connected to the school photos. Two Smileys, and a Phylis Patterson. That I should be so lucky! None of them would have given me a sideward glance.
In my teenage days, the Spence brothers were THE hard men.

Jim
I see you've got names for some of the Central School photo, (1946/7), and pleased that I was right about Alan Cree as well as Jimmy Spence.
I heard that Alan's brother Billy is still around Lisburn. All the best, Billy, if you're looking in.
Joe

And mustn't forget, though his face is no longer familiar, my first TA sparring partner, Freddy Gilliland, far right at the back.

Hi Dabbler .

Iam really pleased that you have reconised some of the pupils on the Central photograph , that Jim Collins has so kindly printed for me , this is fantastic , to try and bring a bit of cheer to people so far away. This computer has taken over my life partly , i have to juke in to the wee room to go on line . But i suppose it is better than spending my time idle elseware.

Best Wishes

Tommy

I looked closely yet again at the Central photo, and was about to write that I felt sure that was Sally Bird in the middle row, when I pressed info, and there was her name.

Hi Dabbler .

You are right about Sally Bird, and as i remember her brother William is No 3 left back row , i am no 4 left back row . We sure did not know what life ahead was going to be like . We all looked like little angels with dirty faces .

Regard's .

Tommy .

Tommy
Curiously, I have no memory of Sally Bird's brother, and indeed little of Sally, just that she lived off Linenhall Street, and played skipping and hopscotch with Marie and Shirley Lundy, Edie Coulter, Chrissy and Bernadette McKearns, and that young Tommy Corken had a crush on her.

Hi Dabbler .

Have you had a look at the photos ,that Jim has kindly entered on the Exiles Forum Photos , of Smithfield . If not hope you enjoy .

Tommy

Tommy
I love looking at all the photos. To be honest, I can't spot any new, but you caused me to delve into them again with pleasure.
It's good to, to 'hear' from you, just knowing that you knew some of those children from my long ago.
Joe

Hi Dabbler .

Did you see Sweeney's sweet shop and Neeson's pub . Sweeney's has changed a lot since your visit's . It was just an ordinary house when i used to go into it .

Keep well .

Tommy .

Old Photos?

Oh, yes Tommy. Just realised you meant Forum Photos. Smashing! Thanks!