Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How the expression originated

Hi all,
This afternoon as I was removing the dishes from the dishwasher a plate I lifted broke in the middle. I remarked without thinking " that,s only good now for to make Babi dishes with" and my grandchild wanted to know what I meant. Everyone knew and used the term Babi dishes, but how it originated is anybody,s guess. Anyone know?
Donald

Re: How the expression originated

For non Nornironers Babi dishes were small pieces of broken porcelain plates and saucers, used by small children as currency when they played " a wee shop". The pieces with gold rims were especially valuable and more "goods" could be obtained for them.
Donald

Re: How the expression originated

To all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am an old resident of 50 Church Street, Thomas McKay lived next door. What happy times they were. We came to Canada in 1948, bur Ireland has always been my home. Anyone out there who knows a family whose surname is Norrell I woould like to hear from them. I have been trying to trace my paternal grandma's family. Norrell (Webb) Thornborrow.

Re: Re: How the expression originated

When we were sice my father used to say we were throwing up Babi dishes. Norrell

Re: Re: Re: How the expression originated

Hi Norrell.

The only time i remember Babi Dishes mentioned , was as children , the girls used to play with broken crokery in the hallways of house's in Barrack Street.And to imagine being housewives. I hope i have got my fact's right .
All best Wishes to yourself and your family, for a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.