Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
I know what Donald will be doing
I hope to have a laugh with the grandchildren, and, if the wife allows me, a drink with the neighbours.
Actually, that sounds like I haven't changed much; but the presents certainly have, I miss the orange, apple, crayons and book in my da's sock
Thanks for all your contributions, my virtual friends.
Joe

Re: Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone.
One of the most memorable Christmas Party's that I can remember is when the American Army held a Christmas party for our school. So much fresh fruit and goodies that we were not used to seeing. This was the first time that i had a whole Banana. Hard to believe, it seems like a lifetime ago.

Lord Downshire

My memories of Christmas are the Christmas card from Aunt Mary in New York with five dollars ( a small fortune in the fifties )getting the train to Belfast after dinner, visiting the attractions at the blitz square in York St. Then before we went home in the Continental cafe opposite the GNR station in Great Victoria St a tuck in of tea, bread, butter, chips and beans for one and fourpence.

a lovely and great christmas to all and a healthy one dabblers posting was as always thought provoking? an orange an apple a book of crayons and a colouring book in the stocking? now it,s everything that open and shuts and lots of it
and three of everything
it,s progress i suppose and more money to spend
but i think we enjoyed the colouring book and crayons better. good luck to all tom

Best wishes for the coming year, Beano and all.
M'Lord, I remember a party thrown by the 'yanks' at Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn. I must have been about seven or eight. Magic tricks, food, sweets, somebody playing a tune on a saw. Exciting stuff when you're that age.
Tom, you're right. Waking up to that wee sockful of 'goodies' was the thrill of a lifetime.
We can't go back, but it's nice to read shared memories.
Joe

I, also would like ( just returning from a Xmas party from our painting group ) to wish all readers a happy Xmas and hope to contribute and read a lot of posts in the new year. Wasn,t it a pity our mothers didn,t have bigger thighs, then more goodies would have fitted into our stockings at Christmas. Nevertheless I at least will never forget my happiness and the looks on my parents faces as I delved into the bottomless Christmas stocking Santa left hanging on the fireplace.
Frohe Weihnachten
Donald