Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what,s in a name

merry christmas to all iwas travelling through victoria to queensland and had some car trouble which meant a night in a motel in a place called Shepperton in country victoria. the next morning strolling down to collect my car i looked at a street on the way and it was lisburn street? a fairly unusual name? how did it get there? was there a homesick city clark in days gone by? any more anywhere ? apart from norn iron of course god luck to all

Re: what,s in a name

There is a town called Hilden here in Germany, I,ve been there.
Donald

Hi.Tom.
Shepperton is a great Fruit Growing Area in Victoria Australia. Some of the nicest Peaches @ Pears that i have tasted @, " Bought " there. We used to get Astral Brand Canned Fruit here in Canada which came from Aussie.
Killarney in South Australia is a place where i once, "proged",a few Potatoes @ Carrots @ cooked them by the roadside when travelling through the area.
Belfast in New Zealand.
London ,Stratford,Dublin ,Hillsburg,Drumbow are just a few that come to mind here in Ontario Canada.
Also a large area around Tampa Florida is called Hillsborough County, with a large river called Hillsborough River flowing into Tampa Bay.
Just a few ," whats in a name ", that popped into my mind .

Lord Downshire

Yes but there is only ONE Low Road.

Re: Re: what,s in a name

Hi Low Roader,

I recall our bus driver taking a Low Road on our way to Loch Lomond. I remember it well as we were the first coach to arrive.

Fortycoats

There must be a Low road somewhere near the Scottish border also.
How about the old song " If you take the high road and I take the LOW ROAD, I,ll be in Scotland afore ye"!

Off now to dismantle and scrap my grandson,s old furniture as he is getting a new bedroom from his other grandpa for Xmas.
Donald

Tom,

In Lincoln (UK) we have

Lisburn Close
Antrim Road
Larne Road
Coleraine Close
Foyle Close
Mourne Terrace

Have a great and warm Christmas.

Bob

For the uninitiated.
The "low road" refers to height, as of course does "high road".
There is no sustitute for class.

That's a good one 40 coats.!!!
I can see where you are coming from OK.

Lord Downshire.

Re: Re: what,s in a name

Ye take the High Road means travelling along the ground alive, Ye take the Low Road means that one will be dead and travel in spirit to Scotland as the song says. That is how he or she will be in Scotland afore ye.

I see my attempt at Norniron humor failed miserably.
Donald