Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some Nick Names from around Hillsborough.

Can anyone add to these or PUT A NAME to Any Of the Following. ???

CO-CO, Cat FOOT,Only spelled PU$$ey Foot HOAK ARE YOU ABOUT, MARMALADE MAN,
40 COATS, [ This name was Borrowed by a Forum User].
SQUEAKY, I'LL Walk BESIDE YOU, THE 2 PUTTIES, ROSIE,
JUGSIE, PINKEY is a Lisburn one.!!!

LORD DOWNSHIRE.

Re: Some Nick Names from around Hillsborough.

Even though I spent a great part of my childhood in Culcavey I don't know any of the names. Pinky could be Waring from the Tec.
I remember wee Geordie Coburn he followed the Hillsboro Silver band everywhere. And carried the big drummers coat on hot days.

Yes John. You are right on the 2 Nick Names.
Co-co Was George Coburn,@ Pinkey Waring from the Tech. in Lisburn.
If anyone Teased Geordie Coburn .
He in turn would call you a, " PUPSEY GET ".!!!!!!

LORD DOWNSHIRE

Hi My Lord
I remember the time that a new home was getting built in Harrys road, it was on Higgisons land right beside the old railway bridge and was for Norah Sulch who was a Higgison. I think her husband was a Pilot during the war and was killed in action. His grave is in Eglington Church yard.
However My Grandfather Billy Rutherford took me over the field to see the house . Geordie was there and the bricklayers were taking a rise out of him.
He asked my Grandfather to get go them and he would hold his coat.My Grandfather winked at them and gave the coat to Geordie & made a race at them and they took off, Geordie waved the coat around his head and cheered.
My Grand parents lived across the road from Emersons wee shop.
Best regards to you both

Right again John. That house at the railway overpass on Harrys road was Nora Sulch's. She was a sister of Bertie Higginson who owned that farm. Yes indeed her Husband was killed in action, flying during world war 2 .@ his Head Stone stands beside other airmen killed in action @ Laid to rest in Blaris Cem.
Bertie Emersons wee shop is no longer. With all the new houses across the road and indeed all the changes in Culcavey itself, a more modern Culcavey has arose.
John you would have known Bob Mc Adam the postie,and his 2 Daughter's. " Rosie " Alexander. The Hood Farm where the Electricity Board built a Yard and office.The Crossie Family. Charlie Freel.@ others.
John Law's Dairy Farm. Ann Simpson was Dairy Maid
there. I could go on and on about that neighbourhood and indeed all the neighbourhoods around Hillsborough.
But i will close for now. Wishing you all the best in the upcoming Holiday Season.
Lord Downshire.

I remember in the sixties Crossey had a scrapyard in what used to be Hillsborough station, before that he scrapped cars and sold the parts up against the gable at Culcavey

Hi again My Lord
You sure started the memories flowing with the people from Culcavey.
To add a few there was Maggie Mercer(no relation, Pollocks, Whiteside from the GreyRow,Kanes,Ringlands. I used to chum around with a chap who had been in the Irish Guards and he married a Ringland his name was Trevor.
Was it you who sent in the Photograph of 817 ATC to the website.Charlie & the Crosseys were as I remember them. I also was in 817 but not to 1953.
There is also a good photo of 817 in the publication AS IT WAS, all about Culcavey in the twentieth centuary.I remember the Law family, Grandfather Law always wore a bowler hat and gaiters. I know his Grandson and his wife Phillip and Roberta.
Also the time Higginsons horse fell into the flax dam behind the factory, there were no tractors then and it had to be pulled up the sides of the wall by other horses. I still remember the smell of the water, it was putrid.
Do you remember the Forces Medical factory down near Eglington during the war, you could go down the path from Harrys road? The large bombers crossing over the Halftown road during takeoff? or Greers Coal yard?
Thats enough for now.
Have a good weekend.

These stories somehow remind me of Charles Handy's experience. Being given directions, he was told, "If you keep straight along for a couple of miles, you'll come to Davy's Farm. Take a left turn about half a mile before you get there..."

Hi again John Mercer.Would you have been related to Margaret Mercer who lived in the same Block of houses in Culcavey as Sarah Ringland.??
I remember Tom ,Day , @ Joan Patterson, also Albert Crothers all from Newport. The Railway Arch into Robert @ Anne Fullerton's Farm.
Helping at the Thrashing Machine at Harold @ Jeanie Mc Bride's Farm Culcavey House.
I have to give credit to," 40 Coats ", for putting the Photograph of 817 A.T.C. in the Forum.I belonged there until 1951.
That was about the time that Constable David Hastings Gave Graham Larmour @ myself a Summons for not having a light on our Bicycles after leaving Higginson's Farm after a hard days work " Purty Hoaking ".

Lord Downshire

Hi My Lord.
As I said in my last notes I'am no relation to the Mercers of Hillsborough. There seemed like there was a big connection getting out as far as Mc Kees dam.
Great fishing at the Flats. Young Speed Alister learned us to fly fish there in the Fifties.
No I don't remember the Pattersons.
You say you worked at Higginsons "Purty Hoking", I was there when Bertie left for Australia and remember the party for him. Billy Higginson was a fine man and I remember he told me how to tell the time when milking the cows. " He said to lift its tail and then he would scoot you with milk". I also had the misfortune to fall through the Hay reaper smashing my nose when the horse drawn reaper went into a hole. This was in the field wher Sulches house was built.
My job as a very young kid was to go across the field to get the milk from Mrs Higginson every afternoon around 4 o'clock, she always gave me a biscuit when I was leaving.Nice memories

Your Lordship
Would it be Jugsie McKee, from Park St.??

Right on Jim [ or Lord Arthur Hill ].
We are heading South after Xmas. So Here's Wishing you all a Wonderful Christmas @ a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Lord Downshire