Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nick Names

Reading the Foum I thought of all the people from the town who were mostly known by thier nick names. We all know who Beano is and why he got the name but do we know others who were better known by the nick name rather than thier given name.
Who was Sprick,Tarzan,Speed,Turk,Gandy,Whistler,Jazzer, Scob,Chuck,Blarn,Deekie,Piffer.
These mostly relate to the Co.Down but they had the same all over the town

Re: Nick Names

I recall Allen, Leathem, and Clarke. May have known others.

And those who really are within a few years of my age will certainly remember Jamaica. I'm not sure he liked his nickname. I heard him give Sammy White from Longstone a piece of his mind for calling him by his 'monicker'.

There was a "Speed " Alister or McAlister who rode motor cycles in the early 50's. He was killed when he lost control of a bike he was testing a few miles out the Ballynahinch Rd. and collided with a telephone pole. The "Jazzer" was Jimmy Wright who with his brother Ernie operated Wright's Furniture Factory on the Hillsborough Old Rd.

recall wee Sprick Allen, Gandy English from Low Rd. ****** Mc Clurg, Victory St. Pro Roberts ,Victory St., Burky Roy ,Victory St.,Bull Crone, Victory St,.To name some.Hockey foot Jefferson, always good for a chase.Davey Nuk Nuk. All Low Roaders except Sprick. Tit Corken,etc..

Re: Re: Nick Names

I remember ( sprick) jackie allen from hill st. tarzan McKeown and tarzan tate both from co. down, speed allister and turk McAllister came from the plantation area ,how about jazzer wright's buddy wishbone(john haire) from canal st.the norwoods were all known as gutty after their dad's running ability while wearing gutty running shoes ,how about ole hand from the county down.

Re: Re: Re: Nick Names

How about "Nadger" Carlisle;"Tiddler" Greer,"Bugs "Vogan,"Reverend" Boyd "Heck" and Waugie" Mc Allister,"Potsie" Potts,and "Dover" Vaughan, these guys are all from the Co.Down. And from the football fraternity,how about Tucker Orr,Siggy Magee,Tit Logan,Spud Murphy, Higgy Higginson,Doser Shields and Bin Hermon.......... and there must be a lot more.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Names

Beano,would that tiddler Greer be any relation to " Scuttler Greer" ?

Jampot Mc Clean from Hillhall, he got his name because he collected jampots for selling to Graceys. One day he asked Turk Alister & I if we would sell the pile we had on a "guider" for Graceys.
Hack Mc Allister, Cocker Morrow, his brother Bert was a jockey and rode Whispering Steel in a Grand National. Half of Lisburn lost their dough on it.
People from my first post were Gandy Hagen from the Plantation, Chuck & Blarn Ervine, Scob Foy, Piffer Neill.
I cannot remember who whistler was but he was a great walker and had a little terrier dog and he whistled all the time. Could he have lived in Mercer Street?

We forgot someone "Sticky Sloan", he was a man possessed when controling the queue for the pictures.
If you were in the Pit and tried to sneak into the Stalls after coming out of the toilet the torch beam was right on you.
How many of you got hit by Brandy Balls thrown from the Stalls?
How grown up did you feel when you took your girl to the Balcony? Imagine they charged you 1/6 when you could go to the Pit for 5d

Duck, Joker, Spadger, Fitschy, Stout, Lord.
Who was Nuk Nuk ?
Donald

Re: Re: Nick Names

Donald,Nuk Nuk was a chap named Davy Stwart who lived in Wilson Street

Thanks Leamington, don,t remember him, maybe I,m getting old. I remember Jack McMaster the milkman living down there.
Did you find out anything more about the " Chains "? I,m almost sure it was a licenced premises in the seventies or at least in discussion to be.
By the way who remembers a planned site in Railway St between the old Post office and the Robin,s nest which was fenced off and a sign said it was going to be i Cinema? Must have been in the late fifties / early sixties. It never was built but all us boys were very excited and looked forward to it opening.
Donald