Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fire Brigade

Remember the men who answered the call of the Siren in Lisburn?. In the Co.Down it was Kenny Harvey,Tom McNeill,Davy and Joe Oliver on bikes and Hugh Phillips and Tom Carlisle on motor bikes, I also remember Raymond (Archie)Wright on his bike as well. On the video of "Our Town" you can see Ivor Orr from the Longstone arriving at the station on his bike. I know there were lots more, remember we are talking 40s and 50s, give it a thought.

Beano

Re: Fire Brigade

Hi Beano
glad to see you are back and I hope keeping well.
As boys when the siren sounded we used to run to the top of Bridge St to see a fireman coming up at top speed on his motor cycle .I think Wright was his name. My Uncle Tommy worked in Stewarts mill and lived beside the fire station in Antrim street.Is it still there?

Re: Re: Fire Brigade

Had to drop a name or two here. My Grandfather, Stanley Orr was also one of the part-timers, as was Ivor. Wesley Orr, killed in action on the Glen Road was full-time and also a relative. Though I'm only 43 years old I still remember hearing the siren go off and see all manner of men rushing through town to get to the station, be it on pushbikes, motorcycles or cars. The station on Antrim Street is still there but it's not used operationally, there's a big new station beside Tesco now on Prince William Road. I'm sure that I knew more firemen but their names escape me. Any more from you guys.

Re: Re: Re: Fire Brigade

I remember Geordie Smith from the Ballynahinch rd. Frank Clarke, and Bobby Carlisle ( son of Tom) from the old hillsborough rd. It was almost like being at Dundrod races when watching these guys on their motorcycles.

Re: Re: Re: Fire Brigade

my father billy mccabe was also a part time fireman about 1952 or so
tom mccabe
we used to live in mckeown street close to the fire station and when the siren blew we all ran to the fire station to see the turnout.