Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisnagarvey Harriers

One for the old timers.
Lisnagarvey harriers used to hold cross country races on land belonging to a man called Smith, quite close to where JD Barbour lived off Harmony Hill.
I remember standing on many a cold winter's day with my daddy watching the race.
They were handicap races where the better runners gave time starts to the lesser mortals.
Jimmy Elkins and Herbie Catcart were the leading officials as I recall but I could be wrong.
At that time the Harriers only competed in either cross country (up to 10 mile races) and the longer distances (from 3 miles upwards) on the track with one road race at Whitehead if memory serves me right.
Races were also held at Comber, Antrim and somewhere round about Belfast as well as venues in the south of Ireland.
I can remember several names but would hope that someone out there in cyber land has memories too.
Lets be hearing from you.

Re: Lisnagarvey Harriers

I was one who run with the Lisnagarvey Harriers in 1955,56 and part of '57. Herbie Cathcart was my coach. I ended up running in the N. Ireland Championships in Belfast.

Herbie Cathcart was an excellent coach and dedicated his life to helping us young kids. I truly appreciate what he did for us.

LR
Do you remember my dad Billy Thompson as a Harrier. I used to hear him talk about them, and I know my aunt Betty still has today medals won by dad for long distance running. From what she says he was well known for his running as well as boxing.

Would love to know if anyone remembers him in this connection.

Liz

the harriers use to use a hut in Cromwells Highway long before the Playing fields opened.At one time they had about fifteen members and they trained either by running on the roads around the CoDown side of the town Ballynahinch Old Hillsborough Ravarnet and Waterloo Roads being a well used circuit.Cross contry running was carried out on Roger Smyths on the Belsize road and also on land belonging to a Mr Davis whose land ran trom the Waterloo Road allthe way to the Lagan at the rear of Burnhouse.He often used to come out and shout at the runners if they had not reqested permission to cross his fields.Names Iremember were Harry Murray Billy and Arty Curry Rob Beggs Jim Smyth and Frank mc Nally who was also an excellent bicycle rider.But the most talented OF them all was a chap from the Low Road direction by the name of Stevenson who became the NI Boys clubs champion and ran second in the All Ireland two mile championship.No doubt others will remember other names. So lets kep this running!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Lisnagarvey Harriers

Best runner? was that Noel Stevenson from Lemington? He had two bros. Ronnie, who married Betty Just & Reggie who married Sally Dowling. If so I knew them well , their mom and dad also.

You could well be right Frazer.other names I recall are Dessie McKee from the County Down Colin Fowler ftom Ravarnet and Billy Mc Cue who came from Bally skeagh.He later joined the RUC and ran for them if my memory serves me right, Smyth Beggs HAll and Steven son left Garvey and joined the Ninth Old Boys to get better competition Beggs and Stevenson were on the Old Boys team which later won the NI Junnior Cross Country Championship.Iwould be delighted to hear from anyone with Garvey connections from around the late Forties early Fifties or has anyinformation on any of the folk referred to

Frazeryou were spot on about the Stevenson family. Reggie and Sally have unfortunately passed on Ronnie and Betty are I think living in Scotland I dont think you would know anyone living in Leamington now.The Low Road has changed so much I hardly recognize it each time I go down. All the old familiar shops have gone and nearly all the old familiar faces

Big shocker to hear about Reggie and Sally. really spoiled my day, we are inclined to think life goes on forever, thanks for keeping me informed. best wishes ,fraser

Hi All,

I know this is a very old thread so I'm not sure if anyone will even read this but just wanted to let you all know that Noel Stevenson passed away last January. I'm his grandson, and stumbled upon this thread when reminiscing and researching his athletics career as I'm discovering there's a lot more to my grandad than I realized. Uncle Ronnie is alive and well and still living in Scotland.

If anyone has any further information or records I would love to see them and learn more about my grandad's early life. This was a very pleasant surprise to find and brought his children David and Rosemary great comfort during a difficult time. I figured I couldn't not leave a comment, so here I am :)

Cheers,

Andy

p.s. If anyone can tell me whether or not Noel Stevenson broke the 4 minute mile or not? I know that he once beat Roger Bannister in a race, but I'm (probably foolishly) thinking that if he didn't break the 4 minute mile, then maybe I should get training and give it a shot in his honour.

I still have faint memories from a cross country run on Saturdays in the early 50s, managed by Andy Brody and others from the EMB club ( Ronnie Stevenson etc.), Andy, on the Saturday morning before the race started armed with a bucket of whitewash marking the route through Hilden, Tullynacross and Lambeg, returning up the "broad road" to the EMB.For us boys it was an unforgettable occasion.
Lowroader if you are reading this, memories of the EMB and yourself
donald

I knew the 3 Stevenson brothers. Noel was very tall and my brothers would have known him better than me because of age and all of them attending Hilden School and the gym in the EMB Hall. From what I can remember me brother Leo said that Noel won all the races and was a great athlete. I attended Noel's funeral and enjoyed hearing about all his escapades right into old age. Reggie died earlier but that old rascal Ronnie is still going strong. They were all nice lads.

Andy,
Was May Scott first wife of Noel Stevenson your Granny ? If so May is my husband's cousin. The Scott family was large about eight. My husband was the son of Billy Scott the youngest of the family so my husband is the youngest grandchild. If you are interested he has a list of the Scott family tree. Margaret Scott

Noel Stevenson's first wife was May Irwin from Tullynacross.
She was lovely lady.

Sorry May Irwin's mother was a Scott. Two Scott sisters married Irwin.

my dad Jimmy was May Irwin’s brother. Aunty Nancy. My dad and May’s sister is still living. She is the only one out of seven still living. X

My husband is May Irwin's cousin. He is Tom Scott son of Billy Scott, the youngest of the family.