Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the beginning

In the gas-lit room, lying there on the big bed with Daddy, I heard the deaf mute breathing heavily with his exertions. Daddy drew back the room-dividing curtain to show the crazed face of the drunken man shadowboxing in the cracked mirror, which hung from a chain attached to a nail on the wall. I was frightened. Daddy pulled the curtain back till the man was hidden, put his arm protectively around me, and, in a hoarse whisper, encouraged me to join him in the following childish chant:
“Dummy chant chatch me now!”
Mammy lay next to him, holding my baby brother. Four of us in a bed with a curtain separating us from ‘the dummy’. There may have been other lodgers in Small’s Lodging House in Antrim Street, but that is the only memory I have, and, I think, the first memory of my life.

Re: the beginning

That,s frightning Dabbler. My parents started their married life also in a lodging house around Bridge Street in the 40s. Billy Hull from Eagle,s Terrace,Lowroad whom I lived beside for a short while in Whiteabbey in the 60s told me about the conditions in the lodging houses around that era but you describe it more apt.
Donald