Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Courts, Chinatown et al...

Liz – Thanks.
Yes, of course, if you mean Bullick’s Court. Ward’s Court was similar, with less houses.
Daphne – Derek Crone - that name sprang into my mind. Any relation? I do not, at this moment, even remember how I knew him.
Beano, I remember all the young ones. I think they would all have been older than you.

Re: The Courts, Chinatown et al...

Dabbler, good morning
I was wondering where Bullicks(right spelling Joe!) Court got its name. Was there a Mr Bullick involved somewhere? I was flicking through "Lisburn - The town and its people" by Brian Mackey last night, and on page 86 is a picture of a wooden cenotaph in Market Square for the Peace Day celebrations on 16 August 1919. It was a temporary memorial,and constructed by a Ezekial Bullick, the owner of a local joinery firm. Any connection do you think?

Liz

Re: Re: The Courts, Chinatown et al...

Hi Liz,after reading your ****** on Bullicks court today, I remember now that Moses and Ezekial Bullick were painter and decorators and had a place of buisness on Railway St. between the Temperence Institute and the Orange hall.I served my apprenticship with two painters who had worked for the Bullick Bros. P.S. what has happened to Maureen I haven't read anything from her for a while?.

Hi Ken, great to hear from you again. I hope your guitar playing young brother is well.

Thanks for your reply. I still can't work out where Bullicks Court was exactly. As to Maureen, I share your concern that we have not heard from her for many months, and around then she had been unwell. Does anyone know anything of Maureen?

Liz

Here I am again, wasting time. Hi, Liz. In every practical sense, during childhood, I was as thick as two planks and would have had no interest in who built the wee houses we lived in. Linenhall Street was very narrow. Walkiing from Pipers Hill past Barnsleys Row, towards Hill Street, (different place now), turn right into Linenhall Street, past the IOGT Hall, first left Wards Court, a cul-de-sac, second left, Bullicks Court, likewise a cul-de-sac. Both Courts extended at the back to border on Bradburys Buildings and Church Street.
Linenhall Street is now a wide thoroughfare. Halfway along, toward Smithfield, stop and look up toward the Police Station. That's where I lived. Very, very poor, but: Those were the days my friend...

Hi Dabbler, thanks for your reply. I hope you are feeling better today and not wasting so much time! I see the forum as something I like to do, and the people are my friends. Yes, I know what you mean, we didn't grow up with education at home about the history of our environment. It was enough to feed the family and get through the day. I never once wondered if Well Lane where I lived, was so named because there had been a well in it. But no-one could ever think of you as thick, it is a real blessing to hear from you and your wisdom, so cheer up.
I know exactly where Bullicks court was now. I think I must have visited Ward Court as this was a smaller one, in exactly the place you describe.

Liz