Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Central School & Lisburn Technical School

I was looking through the net to see if either Lisburn Central or Lisburn Tech had their own website and have not been successful.

Did any of you attend either or these places between the years of 1945 - 1956.

I was a runner for Lisburn Central and also Lisburn Tech and also played field hockey for the Tech and for South Antrim Ladies Team.

I am trying to remember all of the teachers at Central and can only remember, Miss Bowden, Miss Nixon, Miss Mathers (who I think went to Australia), Mr. Allen, Miss Cherry, Mr. Thompson, Mr. McCoombs and Mr. Shields who was the principal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Lisburn Central School & Lisburn Technical School

Hi Daphne, I was at the Tech later than you 60 -62, but just since you mentioned it, I was in it last week! My husband and I were over for a few days, and I thought since there were a lot of people about the place enrolling for the new term courses, that I would slip in unnoticed and view the place! I hadn't been there since I left. Of course it has been added to greatly, but the hall is the same, and up the big wide stairs to the classrooms above with the banisters all around so you could look down in the hall. One classroom was unlocked which looked over the Castle Gardens which I was able to look into. I had been wanting to see the old school photographs hanging around like they used to be, but there were none. I enjoyed my nostalgic visit.

Liz

Hi there Daphne,in reply to your email,I attended the Central from 1950.I rember Miss Jones.Sara Crothers. Derek Allen. Mr.Kirkwood. Mrs.Lackey.Mrs.McCory. the janitors name was Stanley and he used to have a full time job getting the ball down from the roof. Ken.

Re: Re: Lisburn Central School & Lisburn Technical School

Hi
Just brousing and found the forum,I went to Central in the late 70s early 80s and just about remember Stanley the caretaker.Also Mr Allen was my p7 teacher.

Hallo Simon
Welcome to the forum, was your Grandpa Billy McCambley who worked as a Turner or was your Dad his son Jim McCambley who attended the Tech with me from 1956 until 1959? They lived around Barrack St if I remember.
Donald