Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I had a Dream

Martin Luther King is not the only one who dreams, last night I dreamt about Lisburn Tech Sammy Semple , Pinky Waring, Fred McKinnon etc. Probably because I looked at the old photograph site here and saw the Tech pics from 1954. A little before my time but brought back memories. Anyone remember there were red brick stores or Air raid shelters at the back beside steps going down to Wallace Ave? A handmade car chassis was stored there, it was constructed by a teacher John ( Moke )Anderson who I was told by Fred McKinnon, built a car himself and at the end of the 1940s toured France in it. A remarkable feat at that time Anyone know any more details?
Donald

Re: I had a Dream

Lowroader
Just moved this up to the top in case you didn,t see it
Donald

Donald,
You are right I did miss it.
Old age marches on.

I spent two very happy years at the technical school and remember well the teachers you mention.
I also remember at night classes sitting doing exams in the summer with people playing tennis on the hard court just outside the window of Room 3.
I must confess to cursing them at the time.
BTW where was Room 1?

Lowroader
Look at the photos from the Tech on the forum, the roomm on the right was room 1 , the photos were taken on the steps outside room 2, then came room 3 and then room 4, Georgie something taught geography. The chemistry room where Pinky,s son Jim ( Texas ) taught was next. Facing the chemistry room was the metalwork class, Kennedy was the teacher, Tom Scott from the Lowroad was an Apprentice fitter then, later he taught metalwork, then upstairs left was the woodworkroom, Davidson and Nesbitt were the teachers and to the right was a room where girls were taught, strictly out of bounds for us boys, through the woodwork rooms came room 20 where Basher Cowan taught geometry

looking at the photo taken at the Tech here on the site, the teaching staff are familar , from left to right J Kennedy, G Parker, J Robb? r willas, W Wallace, S Semple, Pinky Waring, P McQuade, J waring, Waxy Cardwell, Basher Cowan J ( Texas ) Waring, the last on the right I forget. Am I right?
ps here in Florida is hot and wet but wonderfull
Donald

I know Joe Kennedy one of the teachers mentioned. I was speaking to him last winter when I was back in Lisburn. Very good teacher and a lovely man. I should be talking to him again next month.

Hallo Rosemary, welcome to the Forum.
Please give Joe my regards He used to chastise me for smoking in his little store in the metalwork shop 1956 /1959. Once he took us to Belfast in his big Vauxhall during school hours as he had to buy some tools in McMaster,s in Church Lane and he took three or four of the worst troublemakers with him as he didn,t trust Tom Scott whom he left in charge of the class to control us. Wally McMillen was another pupil then
. He built a Bungalow I think along the Moira Rd at Megaberry at that time
Donald