Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi everyone,
I just got back at the end of May, from my trip to Lisburn. I visited the area we lived in and was so happy to see several of our old neighbours. The vice principal at Fort Hill School took me around the school and they're planning a 50th anniversary in 2008 or 2009. No definite date set yet but she will let me know when.
I saw lots of changes in Lisburn....new buildings, the heavy traffic in Lisburn is not what I remember, the shopping (clothes and shoes)is as good as the shopping in Canada. Eating out very expensive and I'll never complain again about the price of gasoline in Canada. I enjoyed my stay at Circular House on North Circular Road. The house is so well kept and breakfast was great and Dianne who owns it couldn't have been more hospitable. I told her I'd be back....
If I was retired, I would have stayed in Lisburn and rented a little house.
Thelma

Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi Thelma glad you had a lovely time when 'home'. Tell me, do you have family still in Lisburn? If I have the right person, you had twin brothers? Are they with you in Canada or still in Lisburn?

Hi Thelma

Do you think there will be some sort of Forthill reunion???? for the "old ones" was there any hint of it???
Sadie

Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi County Down Lass,
My uncle Harry lived on Victory Street and he passed away two years ago. I have an aunt and cousin in Belfast. I stayed with my cousin and her husband and children in Greyabbey when I was over.

Yes I've twin brothers, Michael and Brian and a younger brother Martin and they are all in Ontario, Canada.

So do I know you?
Thelma

Hello Sadie,
The 50th anniversary is for everyone. The school opened in the 1958-1959 school year and the principal wasn't sure yet if the 50th anniv. would be held in 2008 or 09. What years did you go there? I was there from 1965-69. Do you think you will go to the anniversary?

I don't know if Forthill has ever had a reunion. The schools are very big on reunions in Canada. I was very surprised to find it's a mixed school (boys and girls). I don't know what Miss Gray ( our headmistress) would say about that. Lisnagarvey is also mixed.

Thelma

Hi Thelma, thank you for your report back. Glad you enjoyed your b&b. Could you please tell me the owner's name, and the telephone number, I will note it for the next time I go over. Perhaps, perhaps, I may get over this year.

I was one of the first at Fort Hill at the opening in 1958, and was happy there for two years before the Tech. I shall always remember Miss Grey, the headmistress, Mrs Kirkwood my form teacher, and best of all Miss McCullough who inspired me in art. For music we had the amazing Miss Maureen Crothers. If there is a reunion I would like to know about it. Boys at Fort Hill? Well, well, everything changes!

Regards, Liz

Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

THELMA, was interested in your Uncle Harry from Victory St. What was his last name please?

Thelma
sorry I missed you when you were over, Mum has been ill. You were in my daughter's class when you were visiting Forthill. Heather Johnston organised a reunion a few years back for our year, it was good fun. It would be lovely to have a 50 year reunion.I was at Forthill from 1964-1968.
best wishes

Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi Thelma

I started the year you left!!
I think it's great to mix the children. I think it's a positive step in the right direction.

Would you go to the reunion? It would be very interesting. Might consider it.

Sadie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi Fraser,
My uncle's name was Harry Ramsey. Did you know him?

Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi Sadie,
I will definitely be going to it and I'll let you know when I get some information about it. I think it would be great to see how everyone is and what they're doing.

Thelma

Hi Liz,
The B & B is Circular Lodge. The address is 44 North Circular Road, Lisburn BT28 3AH.
The owner is Dianne Price and her
phone # is 028 9266 5899.
Did Mrs Kirkwood teach typing? I remember Miss Crothers. We had Miss Rooney for Math and Gym but she was fairly young and probably not there at the time you were. And there was also Miss Boyd for History.
I'll let you know when I hear what the date will be for the anniversary.

Thelma

Hello Maggi,
Sorry to hear your mother wasn't well, hope she is doing better now. I enjoyed my visit to Forthill and the Vice Principal took time out of her day to show me around the school.

I'm looking forward to my next trip back to Lisburn but I'll wait for Forthill's 50th Anniversary. Maybe we'll get together then.

Thelma

Thanks for all that Thelma. No Mrs Kirkwood didn't teach typing as far as I know. She was pregnant in that first year, and I don't know if she continued teaching for long. I don't remember the other teachers you mention. The transition to the Tech was harder, I shall never forget Mrs Little the typing teacher there. She used to say "I'll throw you out of the window, typewriter and all!" And dear Mr Devlin. Anyone called up to his desk trembled on their way up! But I shall never forget his words to me "Elizabeth, where there is a will there's a way". Those were among the most valuable words ever spoken to me.

Liz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hi, knew Harry very well also his wife and family their back garden backed onto the side of my Dads house in Delacherois Ave., Mrs Ramsey had an apple tree in the garden and always told me any apples on our side were mine, brings back fond memories, a really great family.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wonderful visit home to Lisburn

Hello Fraser,
My grandparents were Robert and Evelyn but you do have the right family. My father was their son and his name was Robert or Bertie I think he was known as. My father's brother was Harry, who never married and he had a sister Ethel too. Would you remember their cousin Vera Armstrong from Belfast? She would visit them quite a bit.
Thelma