Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
J C Pattersons

Anybody have memories of J C Patterson's? Thinking back it was like Harrods would be to me today. Mum didn't shop in there much, but I remember the windows at Christmas and I used to stand outside looking at them as people today would watch television. Just standing and gazing at the toys. Visiting the spot often just to press my nose up against the windowpane in wonderment.

One Christmas my mother took me in to choose a doll. When Santa delivered duly delivered her she was my prise possession. I called her Doreen, after Doreen Best of 2 Well Lane, the newest baby in the neighbourhood. Alas Doreen got left out in the rain and her face crinkled and dented. She had a key in her back which when turned played the teddybear's picnic.

Later on when I started work I used to go there to buy my records. With my first pay packet I put down the deposit for my first record player, and bought all my records at JC's.

And when I got married and had my first home in Beechgrove, Harmony Heights, it was a great event for me to visit the upstairs of JC's and order my curtains from what seemed a hugh display. I loved those curtains, they served me well for 20 years.

I miss JC's.

Liz

Re: J C Pattersons

Hi Liz, I was more familiar with " CHITTICK,s"

He was Famous for " LOWERING HIS PANTS ".

Will be over there in June. So will check things out.

Hope you get the PUN.!!!!

Lord Downshire.

One of my strongest memories of J.C.Patterson's was being sent there (more than once) by Davy Leinster (Wm. Foote School) to buy a cane so that he could give you 3 or 4 of his left-handed best across the hand.
He did give 6d to buy the cane though. Once I bought a cane that I thought wouldn't hurt as much, but it wasn't 'springy' enough for him so he sent me back to get another.
All other memories of that shop are good ones.

I,m mixing up Jc,s and Smyth Patterson, please help me
Donald

Lord
we said you should watch Chittick,s shop window as there were big things in men,s trousers there!
Donald

Liz,that was to bad about Doreen best,I hope she recoverd ok,that must have been Trevor that left her out,as I can't see Laurence or Derek doing that! Yes J.C's was a good store,I belive when I was back about six years ago it was turned into a hamburger joint.Whatever has happened to Maureen( Patterson)I haven't heard from her for a while? ken.

P.S.it sounds like Robbie really enjoyed doing the teachers errands to buy new canes,was Robbie a favourite or what do you think? ken.

Hi all ,yes I recall this store very well as we bought all our furniture,carpet's etc for our first home we purchased in Greenburn Pk Lambeg in the 60s also my sister Doreen worked there for a few years also in the 60s .

Ken, Doreen Best was a pretty little girl with fair curly hair, big blue eyes and a delightful lisp. I wonder where she is now. I saw Lawrence in Lisburn a few years ago. He stopped me and asked if I was Betty Thompson, I said I was. I wouldn't have recognised him.

Another thing I remember about JC's was the NSPCC window once a year. They used to dress a big window with harrowing black and white photographs of neglected children and their homes. I have never forgotten how shocked and appalled I was. I used to stand and stare, and go home feeling like a princess!

Liz

Re: Re: J C Pattersons

Hi again everyone,

Just back from a wonderful visit to Vancouver Island.

J.C.Patterson for me, meant we could watch the test cricket on the TV.in their window,that was in the early to mid 50s.

As Ken has said it was turned into a hamburger place for a while(Wimpy's)to be exact, it has now changed again, I think it is now a ladies shop.

Beano

JC's at The Corner House was taken over by Burger King in the mid 90's. It lasted about 3 or 4 years and was then taken over by River Island, a clothes store, which is still there... A version of JC's still exists where the workshops used to be in the Grahams Gardens/Wardsborough Road area and is owned by Smyth Pattersons now.

I agree that Lisburn isn't the same anymore but things never are when we leave it to our memories for our information. The Town (City now) is still there, they're trying to revitalise the area around the Cathedral and Castle Gardens is subject to major archaeological investigation. The Market has been re-introduced to the Bus Station and Lisburn Square. I was back less than 2 months ago and like what is going on. Progress is progress it's the inhabitants of the town that make it worse for me. All blow ins with no interest in the place or it's history and heritage....

Re: Re: J C Pattersons

Well said Richard, Great Granny McCleery would be proud of you, she loved Lisburn.
I was over in April for a few days and your sentiments are the same as mine.

Beano(Billy)

I loved Granny M'Cleery or Cleery as she was know in our house, I lived next door to her for years! The kindest woman in Aloexander Ave she was good to me!