Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hilden School

Donald,
Have you seen this site.
The chap named was after my time, but you might know him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/antrim/hilden_ps.shtml

Happy hunting.
LR

Re: Hilden School

Lowroader, I was a bit older than him I think he was in my brother,s class,I remember his Father, Mother and Grandfather, who incidently was a fine singer of ballads such as " Mother Machree ". I remember him singing at a dance in the Dining rooms, cap in hand and without musical support. He also was the " Lollipop man " at Hilden school.
Donald

Donald,
I know the name but cannot put a face to it.
I must say "the wee man" is a surprise to me . I never heard our beloved head teacher called anything but Waddy(only when he was not there mind you) and Mr Woodend or mostly Sir.
I have a mind to register a claim for damges as he never smacked the desk when I got punished. In fact he never missed a an area an inch wide on my left hand. He never smacked you on your writing hand so you had no excuse for not working.
Happy days indeed.
LR

Hello to all,
My father mentioned the headmaster and how he put the fear of god into you!
Mind you it must of done some good as dad was very good at maths and english. Which came into good stead when he and mum took in foreign students and they all passed their exams with flying colours and all it cost the students was four cans of whitbreads!!
Many a day I would pop in and have my nose put out of joint as there would be a sitting room full of japanese students being 'educated' by dear old dad.
He loved every moment of it but comical with his strong irish accent coming across and you would hear quite often 'mrs Jean what he say' !!!

I have had an email from someone and they are researching Leathams. Donald, as they lived by you and dad any help? I have found one that lived in Mercer St. So get those brains going folks.
Sally xx

Lowroader,
We also only knew Mr Woodende ( behind his back ) as "wee Waddy ". I remember him telling us he came from Coalisland. The Mackells moved into Hilden at the top end of the village, I think into one of the houses vacated by either Kennedy or Kirkwood but cannot be sure, later the Grandfather joined them, a very quiet and industrious family. If my memory serves me right they moved later to Strathearn Place.

Sally I,ve already sent Trevor an eMail about the Leathems.
Donald