Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message for the Day

What a good idea Donald. Can I borrow it? Right, this is a four part joke. Some people might call it a religious one.

A Priest, a Pentecostal preacher and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette. They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop.

One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people is not really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it.

Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience.

Now folks that's where it ends for today, tune in tomorrow and find out what happened to Father Flannery.

Liz

Re: Message for the Day

To each their own, but I find that jokes that take 2 or 3 days to tell are a waste of time and space.

ExLisburn
An old saying is , you can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
Why don,t you contribute something more interesting then? But then I suppose it,s easier to read and criticise.

Back to Father Flannery. He has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages, and speaks first. "Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. When I found him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him, and bless me, he became as gentle as a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation.

Tune in tomorrow folks to find out what happened to Pentecostal Reverend Billy.

Patience is a virtue!

Liz

Re: Re: Message for the Day

Liz,

You must have been a bit of a "Divil" when you were young.

Beano

Beano, what makes you think that? I certainly was wilful and wayward, but I can honestly say, I wasn't a rebellous teenager, and was hardworking at school. Despite being a tomboy by the time I was 15 I was quite reserved, and was too shy to go to a "social". I missed out on all that fun, but I don't believe I ever went to one. I still have an outrageous streak, although I also am very quiet and think a lot. I am still amazed that God chose me to be a Pastor's wife!

Liz

Part 3

Reverend Billy speaks next. He is in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he claims, "WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the day praising the Lord."

They all looked at the Rabbi...........

But that is for tomorrow.

Liz

Hi again Liz,

My sister-in-law, Doreen's sister Edna has much the same resume as yourself or so I am told, and she is a Presbyterian Minister's wife. Judging by your contributions to the "forum" the two of you have a lot in common. By the way the "divil" bit was meant in the nicest possible way, anyway I wouldn't offend Billy Thompson's daughter.

Beano

Finally, folk....................................
They all look down at the Rabbi, who is lying in a hospital bed. He is in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of him. He is in bad shape.

The Rabbi looks up and says, "Looking back on it, circumcision may not have been the best way to start."

Liz

Liz I never thought I would laugh today when I gotup .......but I have to say thank you so much maureen

Thanks Maureen! A sense of humour certainly is a blessing! So good to hear from you again, you have been missing for weeks. You said you hadn't been well a while back, are you better? You have been in my thoughts.
Liz

Liz thank you for your thoughts. I'm not very well at the moment but I am reading the forum again.
maureen

Re: Re: Re: Message for the Day

Hi Maureen, sorry to hear you have been ill. We have missed you postings on the forum, so rest well and get better soon. We are looking forward to hearing from you again.
Terry