Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sliced Loaf

Who remembers the coming of the "sliced Loaf" ? I think it must have been the middle / end of the fifties, before that loaves were baked in a batch ( they were joined together ) a " ticket " if my memory serves me right. The first sliced ones were bound together with an elastic band, which we used as a catapult (" lastiks " we named them ) to propell rolled up bus tickets at each other and passers by. Later the loaves were wrapped and the greaseproof wrapping was used for our "pieces "which we took to work with us. Not everyone could afford a lunch box in those days. Another use the wrapping paper was put to was hold a horrible mixture of tea leaves, sugar and condensed milk which some took to work with them to put into a can of boiling water and drunk as tea. UGH. A favourite saying around Lisburn when something was excellent was " it,s the greatest thing since the sliced loaf!"
Donald