Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4.05 - 4.22

At just after four I thought we were in for a load of info or memories, then it all dried up as fast as it started. Can anyone explain? Fraser entered with what seemed like horrors about to be revealed, LR quickly replied. Meanwhile Donald had disappeared for his pretzels. Sean gave us the bike track, answered by LR. An exciting fifteen minutes.

Re: 4.05 - 4.22

I had to go and have a lie down after all the effort and the adrenalin rush at the thought of Fraser revealing a place (house?) of ill- repute.
I have just recovered sufficiently to write this.
Still waiting on Fraser.

Re: 4.05 - 4.22 help

ATTENTION DABBLER @BEANO I was going over some old forum items dated 9/5/05 and you both mentonied a very great mate of mine who i have been trying to get in contect with, his name is Gearld Murray he lived in hill street, we went to school together and spent a lot of our youth together when i came back from england he had married and had gone to Austraila and i have had no luck traceing him , any information on his wereabouts would be greatly appreceate Regards Ted

Lisnagarvy Harriers

I was a runner while back in Lisburn and ran under Herbie Cathcart. We used to train over in the playing fields. I can't remember all of the people that I used to run with. Does anyone remember anyone?

Daphne

That summation gave me the best laugh from this forum for a long time.
Dabbler, that was brilliant.

Robbie
Thanks. I still enjoy a good laugh!
LR
Nice one!
Ted
Other classmates?

Daphne,
I suspect the Herbie Cathcart you refer to was a pretty old man when he trained you. My knowledge of Lisnagarvey is 1949 - 1955 an d Herbie and Jimmy Elkin were in charge. There was, however no ladies section in the club at that time. Could you put a date on please?
LR

Re: Re: 4.05 - 4.22

I trained with Cathcart in 1956 & 1957 just before I left for Ireland. I ran in the N. Ireland Championships in Belfast in 1956. I also played Field Hockey with the South Antrim Ladies Team.

I also ran for Lisburn Central School and also the Lisburn Technical School.

Daphne

Daphne
You have every reason to be proud of your athletic achievements. Well done!

Was it you who, in a much earlier post, mentioned Mr Orr, of the laundry? I DO remember him.
Joe

Joe:

I worked at the Lilliput Laundry and Mr. Orr was the Manager of the Dry Cleaning Office. I think he lived in either Hillsborough or Dromore. Many a times he would give me a ride home from work. I worked in the office. Edith McCabe was his secretary. The old Mr. McKinney was in charge and a Mr. Sullivan was one of the managers. McKinney's son also worked there.
I worked with Annie Hall from Dunmurry, and some of the names I have almost forgotten. I worked on a National Business Machine and then just before my father decided to come to Canada, I was promoted into doing the payroll. I loved worked there and everyone was absolutely great. It was a very good place to work. Two other names I remember were Doris Cowan and Mary McGivern.

Daphne

Daphne
I can’t add names. I was only there for months, literally doing the wet wash. Walter Bothwell, older than I, so perhaps sadly gone, was the dyer, one of those really nice people you meet in your life. I would love to think that he and his Violet got together and shared some happy times. I cannot remember the name of the man in charge of my section, but he had white hair, and looked a lot older than Mr Orr. I was nineteen, very shy, and was scared stiff, when I was sent to walk past lots and lots of girls in another area, and they whistled at me. Nice to know we passed like ships in the night.
Joe

Joe: The name you said was in charge was Mr. Sullivan. I still have a letter of reference he gave me when I left the Lilliput. Do you remember any of the van drivers. Tom Craig was one of them and his sister is married to my cousin.

Daphne

Daphne
I did think it was Sullivan, but couldn’t be certain. My friend Walter once called me away from my machine to show me how to die something, and I was sternly rebuked by Mr Sullivan, when he caught me away from my ‘position’.
I didn’t know any van drivers, but I think that I wrote at one time that Jim Hanna, a very tall, and also very cheeky teenager, who worked there, was given a smacking for his impertinence by a beefy driver. The aforesaid Mr Hanna told me that tale to me, by way of letting me know that he was very tough, and could bash me up. Although three or four years younger than me, Jim was a foot taller, and about four stone heavier, and could have flattened me, but I probably disagreed with him. Beano informed me that Jim Hanna died quite young. If your relative worked there at the time, he would most likely remember the very tall Jim.
Joe