Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warren Park

Hi All, As a new convert to Lisburn.com- where have I been all these years- what happened to all the Warren Park gangs? Sean

Re: Warren Park

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the Forum. Coming from the Co.Down side of town we used to run after the girls up your way, but that was back in the 50s. Beth Mulholland, Marie Briggs,Rachel McKee, Ann Warwick and my old friend Daphne Martin to mention a few. Any of these names ring a bell.

Beano

Re: Re: Warren Park

Hi Beano,

I think Marie Briggs was Norman's sister, Rachel, Billy's and Daphne was the really good looking girl lived in the Drive across and up a bit from Sydney and Ivan Graham. Not sure about the others. Nothing wrong with the girls from the Co Down side.

What memories this brings back!!!

Sean

Norman Briggs was, I think, known as Archie. He worked in Shorts and played for CCYM football team.
This assumes it is the same Norman who went to the Technical School.

Sean

Norman(Archie) was not Marie Briggs brother, her brothers were Ernie and Jim. I remember Archie well.

Lowroader,

I played cricket for CCYM and a lot of the guys played football as well, do you remember,Walter Buchanan, George Neill, Richie Aughey, Sammy Crowe, Tom Lavery, Willie Curry, Norman Fraser to mention just a few?.

Beano

Hi Beano,
Most of those names are very recognisable. I do not remember Tom Lavery or Norman Fraser but all the others are very familiar. I never played cricket but had many good times at the football down in Ballyskeagh when CCYM played in the Amateur league and a few times when they played in the Lisburn League.
Did Richie Aughey have a brother called Tommy who played for Hilden Rec?
Sammy had a brother Davie who I knew from Altona days. The Crowes came from Millbrook so there is a good chance Robbie would have known them.
You would know much better than me but I seem to have a picture in my mind that a lot of these folk were officers in the Christ Church CLB or at least played in the Bugle Band.
Ernie Briggs, I remember as quite a quiet chap - unlike Archie, but the character to outshine them all was Walter. I can never forget his sense of humour and even as I type this I can see his face grinning all over the keyboard - an unforgettable, gentle, person. The two Bobby Shirlows were also part of that group, Big Bobby (also known as Rab and little Bobby who I believe still is active about Lisburn.
I spent many happy hours in their company and am grateful to you for reminding me of those wonderful memories.

Sean,
You have given me a right headache.
Your sister(s) had a friend called, I am sure Hazel, (I think Thomson.) She eventually married a chap called Hugh with whom I went to the Technical, but I'm jiggered if I can remember his name. I remember him as runner of some standing but for the life of me I cannot put a name to him.
Can you or anyone else help?
Thanks.
LR

Just remembered the chap's name. It was Hugh Lockhart. Still do not remember the girl's name.
LR

Lowroader,

Yes Richie Aughey's brother Tommy played for Hilden Rec,he was quite the bustler, he died in an accident in Bow St. a few years ago. Ernie Briggs and brother Jim were both very quiet, Jim is a Presbyterian minister.
You mentioned the CLB bugle band, you are right, some of the ones I mentioned were members, another Crowe brother Harold was in charge of the brigade during my time with it. Walter Buchanan was a most likeable person,he married one of the Coulter girls from Gregg St. and I understand he is very much involved with the Congregational church in the Co.Down. One of our Forum friends Mags would be able to confirm this.
What wonderful memories this Forum conjures up, once again thank you Jim, and of course all the contributors.

Beano

Hi LR, I can't help but will check with my sisters. Sean

Re: Re: Re: Warren Park

I lived at Warren Park Drive and ran around with Madeline Crozier, Mavis Patton, Margaret Stewart, Marie Briggs, Sylvia Briggs. Ronnie Briggs lived two doors from us. There were two Briggs families on the Drive, Marie Briggs family and Ronnie Briggs family were cousins. The McLeers also lived on the Drive. I believe that two of them are in Canada, Lionel and his brother Ray, the other one was Cedric. Ronnie Briggs' father was a bus driver and he used to bring the bus home and park it on the drive - we all had a lot of fun playing in the bus and pretending we were all going away on holidays. We used to play rounders on the street together and of course , truth, dare, love and promise. The girls were always afraid that they would have to go up the entry and have to kiss the boys. Most of us went to Lisburn Central School and then to the Tech. Lionel McLeer went to Wallace High School. Daphne Webster was older than us and her father was a policeman. I remember we were all scared of getting in trouble as the police would catch us. Raymond Stevenson was another one that lived on the Drive as well as Richard, June and Billy Crothers. I know that Richard and them still live around Lisburn. I read a story that Billy had just sold his bakery shop and has retired. I don't know where a lot of these people are. I did see Mavis Patton when I made a trip home and she lives in Bangor. Does anyone know the whereabouts of any of these people.