Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
old stuff, as usual

Well, here I am again, you lucky people. I’m thinking of applying for a job here. Who remembers Billy Smart’s Circus? Or, going way back, the man who used to get tied up in a straight jacket and chains, and free himself, Houdini style, rolling around on the ground? I could swear he did that in the Market Square. Who said they should have put me in that? Own up, I heard you.
Joe

Re: old stuff, as usual

Wasn't that idiot with the straight-jacket part of a small performing group? I seem to remember one of them also tearing phone books in half. I also remember the circus/fair that set up in the old markets. I won a set of dishes there one year at the shooting gallery.

Wasn,t there also a Circus called Duffy,s who used to visit Lisburn? Robbie that Fair you talk about was sponsered either by the Lisburn Cricket or Bowling club. I remember my Dad winning a Beano annual at it in the fifties. There was also a booth where you rolled pennies down a ramp and if they landed in the center of a number without touching any lines you received that amount of pennies as a prize. That was all before the MOT and Driving lincence center was built on the site of the old Cattle market.
Donald

The phone book tearer, that was your man Robbie; and Donald, dead right; it was Duffy’s Circus I was thinking of. Great to know there are still a few of us left who remember the old days.