Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Making a slide

I was watching some kids in our area making a slide today. That is a bit unusual for here, as there are "ice rinks" everywhere. It started me thinking of the times we used to slide in the frost at home, we used to make one that ran from the Co Down Arms pub on the Hillhall Rd. right round the corner into Mercer St. Another one was on the Turnpike Hill, does anyone remember where that was in Lisburn?. Anyway we had a lot of fun back then and it didn't cost a penny, except of course new soles on the boots or shoes, again, oh "happy days".

Beano

Re: Making a slide

We used to make one down Mill St Hilden , it was perfect as the street was slightly sloped, then some old lady would put ashes on it , spoil sport
Donald

Beano,was turnpike hill down the side of Refausse's shop towards the Lagan?.

Re: Re: Making a slide

Hi Ken,

Turnpike Hill was on the Hillhall Rd, it ran from about the thatched cottages to almost Dr.McCandless's place.Of course it is no longer there as the M1 motorway took care of that, but as kids we certainly had a ball on it.

Beano

Anyone who attended Christ Church will remember the slide that we used to make down the hill from the Church. After choir practice on a Thursday evening we all used to slide down the hill. I myself was doing it and ended up falling and cracking my head on the cement. Rev. Hall came to the rescue and I end up with in bed for about a week with concussion. However, this didn't really stop any of us from doing it again.

We all loved Christ Church and we all loved the Rev. Hall. He was absolutely wonderful to all of us. I remember the choir trips to Bangor and the fun we had.
We really did live a very simple life and it didn't take much to entertain us. Does anyone remember the circus that used to come and be located at the foot of Christ Church.

Re: Re: Making a slide

I remember very well. They played Good Night Irene
around 11:00 p.m. I lived in Hill Hall and could hear it plainly, what I don't remember is how long were they there?

Ray-Ray