Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Mill

The best hiring in the Mill (Hilden) was the security patrol guy whose job was to search bags etc as one left the front gate, meanwhile the back gate was unguarded, lol, he was nicknamed Fabian of the Yard after the series, anyone recall him?

Re: The Mill

I can recall him, also seem to remember his forerunner, a German, I think called Wilkie, didn,t he have a glass eye?
Hilden mill was fummy, only the bosses had to clock in and out in the gatehouse, the others did not have to, normally its the other way around.
I remember an eviction in Hilden village when an employee was sacked after being accused of removing at approx 03.00am***** in the morning a bucket of coal by a manager. We also had to vacate our house in Bridge St when my father left the employ of the mill and went to the spinning mill Blackstaff on the Springfield Rd Belfast
Donald

Re: The Mill

Hi everyone,
Does anyone remember my uncle Harry Ramsey, I think he worked at Hilden Mill?

Thelma