Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Half Timers

Richard,s contribution about the mill closing made me think about the half timers. Around 1900 inside Hilden mill was a school for employees children who attended three days and Saturday being a workday worked the other three . Thus half timers. Rough conditions. Anyone know any more? I heard this from my Grandparents and other old hands in my youth.Before her marriage my grandmother walked from Derryiaghy each morning to start work in the Mill at 7.00am. Another Hilden person Joe Marmion told me he saw women coming barefoot to work, but fortunatly that was before my time. In 1959 I saw spinners and doffers working barefoot in the wet spinning room, not because they didn,t have shoes but because of the damp floors created by spray coming from the spinning frames.
Donald