Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum guidelines

My apologies to anyone out there who has taken umbrage at some of my recent postings.
I, possibly in error, was under the impression that postings were not to be personal in content or intent.
Freedom of opinion should be encouraged, not denied or ridiculed in a website forum.
I am not interested in continuing to use a public forum on this subject, so, I have taken the liberty of including my e-mail address for anyone who would like to correspond privately re this matter.

Re: Forum guidelines

Robbie
I’m not sure how much any of you guys really get out of reading each other’s comments. I don’t much care about the spelling, or the grammar. In my reply to you, I was childishly showing off, in response to your superior education. My inferiority complex, perhaps. Arrogance, definitely. From the age of about thirteen, I ‘knew’ I could spell better than my teachers.
I don’t think there is any restriction on personal names or comments, as long as they are not defamatory. If you have followed the forum for a long time, you will know that I have requested anonymity, because it is half a century since my last visit to Lisburn, and there would be no advantage in any attempt at a revival of old acquaintanceships. As I keep writing, I find it more and more difficult not to ask about individuals.
I am thrilled to read about the old people and places I knew back in the forties and fifties.
As a VERY sensitive old git myself, I would never wish to hurt anyone’s feelings, so I certainly didn’t mean to hurt yours.

Dabbler,
As someone who reads all your multitudinous posts with great interest and no little incredulity at times I am at loss to know exactly what the problem is.
However as someone who does more reading than writing I have to say that being savaged by you is akin to being attacked by a dead sheep (apologies to Lord Howe).
I do not know what brought this about but find it rather sad that anyone can take offence, not only to your posting but indeed to any one elses.
To "Robbie" I would simply say " do not throw your dummy out of the pram", but sit down and reflect on the enjoyment your (Robbie's) posts give to alot of people who read this forum but never post on it.

Now folks let's have big hugs all round and get on with keeping each other abreast of happenings of bygone days thanks to the indulgence of Jim Collins.
LR

Lowroader
I’m allowed up late tonight, so I looked in here. I agree with all you say. I didn’t know I was attacking anybody.
DEAD SHEEP