Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hospitals

Hi all, did anyone ever have the experience of a stay in the Lisburn Infirmary? Well I did and the parents and families visiting brought up eggs and the nurse wrote your name on your egg for the following morning, it was like the poor house, all male patents in a big ward, all ages all illnesses, coughing and spluttering all night, man what a plac
e.

Re: hospitals

I was in there for a week in the early fifties. I was jumping from the wrought iron railings in Crafton Crecent, Bridge St Hilden and landed on a spike and was left dangling by my leg like a pig on a hook. Johnny McCabe, a boss in Hilden Mill, who lived there, a friend of my dad,s and the only one who had a car in Hilden took me to the Infirmars. Before that my brother Eamon , as a one year old child was sitting at Lockview in front of the fire when a pot of soup which was cooking fell over his feet when the coals shifted burning down and he was kept there for a week
Donald

I was in there for a week in the early fifties. I was jumping from the wrought iron railings in Crafton Crecent, Bridge St Hilden and landed on a spike and was left dangling by my leg like a pig on a hook. Johnny McCabe, a boss in Hilden Mill, who lived there, a friend of my dad,s and the only one who had a car in Hilden took me to the Infirmary. Before that, my brother Eamon , as a one year old child was sitting at Lockview in front of the fire when a pot of soup which was cooking fell over his feet when the coals shifted burning down and he was kept there for a week
Donald

Re: Re: hospitals

I was there for a few days in the early 50s to get my appendix removed. Dr. Emerson from Castle St.was my doctor. It was when the mill at the bottom of Millbrook went on fire. Andy Norris was a visitor with a pile of comics from classmates in 4th standard. He also brought some homework for me to do during recovery. Some things you can never forget.

There were two shops across from it , Mercers fruit shop and Tommy Justs Radio and ice cream shop. If you were lucky and your visitors had a wee roughness they bought you fruit and ice cream from there with them.
Donald

Re: Re: Re: hospitals

HI THERE,
I SEE YOU MUST HAVE WENT TO WILLIAM FOOTE SCHOOL.
I REMEMBER ANDY NORRIS.HE WAS GOOD WITH THE CANE. I KNOW BECAUSE I GOT IT MANY TIMES.
SAMMYDOGOOD

Just remembered another shop across from the Infirmary, Parkinsons, newsagents and confectonary. Victor I think was his name.
There was a garden attached to the Infirmary with access from Wallace Ave. named " The Boneyard" as it was said the amputated limbs were buried there.
Donald