Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Young

Anyone out there remember James Young the comedian?
Sylvia.

Re: James Young

Tell us more!

Certainly do.

Re: Re: James Young

I don't know a lot about him, but he was a favorite of my Aunt. I have a couple of his tapes, which I listen to from time to time, whenever I need a good laugh and a Belfast accent. Sylvia.

Re: Re: Re: James Young

sylvia
i think jimmy young had a permanent venue in the playhouse theatre.he was a really funny man.
i had two of his tapes and either lost them or lent them out and i still miss them? they were a great cheering up device if needed.
my granny never missed the mccooeys on the radio. didn,t he play a large part in that??
good luck tom

Didn,t he play Cecil the breadman in the McCooeys? I remamber him acting, in the Group Theatre in " The wrong Fut" and some of his songs like "I,m the only Catholic on the Linfield Team" or We,re all ecumenical now", made us laugh and / or cry. I remember reading about his death in the newspaper, he was driving home along the Shore Road, Belfast when he took an heart attack at the wheel and died, sometime at the beginning of the seventies. Jack Hudson was his buisness partner and close friend.

Correction to my last mail
James Young played Derek the window cleaner , not Cecil the Breadman
Donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: James Young

Our whole family loved the McCooeys, we could'nt wait for it to come on. That was TV of our era and our imagination was the picture. Tom, on the tape I have, he talks about Orange Lilly, and the trouble she gets into, the company outing to Millisle, and a retirement dinner which is absolutely hillarious. I think I will go and listen to it.
Sylvia.

my son in law brought me two cds of OUR JIMMIE from the television series.If ever I feel a bit lost I find it helps me remember who I am. I probably know all the sketches off by heart now but they still make me laugh.
I think the Irish have a great tradition of being able to laugh at ourselves........Now just let anyone else try to laugh at us .....that's a different story.......!!!!!!! Maureen

Re: : James Young

He was a regular in the early 50's on Saturday nights in the Assembly Room. Their theme song for the show was "There's No Business Like Show Business". I remember rushing in when the doors opened so we could sit up on the big windowsill at the back of the hall.

Perhaps someone out there remembers the names of the others who made us laugh in those days.

Jimmy also visited Toronto, Canada a few times at the Eaton's store, Yonge and College Street.

He really was a wonderful person, I did not know him well but I did know him.

Tom Raymond was I believe another member of that group as were Jack and Mary Duffy (Jack played dulcimer and Mary and he sang duets). I seem to remember a youthful Frank Carson but that may well have been in the Orange Hall in Railway Street.

Re: Re: : James Young

Hello Ray, Ray.
Thanks for your info. I used to be dragged along by my granny to the assembly rooms on Saturday night about that era you meantioned. I don't remember any other commedians except low roader's meantion of Frank Carson may ring a bell. I do remember the singer Ruby Murray.
Incidently I went into a huge store over the weekend and have ordered Jimmy Young's cd called 'too young' which will take about 4 weeks to get. so I am greatly looking forward to it.
Good luck
Tom McCabe [on lyn's computer]

Who could forget Frank Carson? He used to do a TV ad for the Belfast Savings bank, a burgler woke him and asked " Where do you keep your money?" and he answered ," Where you won,t get it, in the Belfast Savings Bank, will you take a cheque"?
That was then a favourite saying for ages afterwards, " Will you take a cheque!

Who remembers a singer Ronnie Carrol, Ruby Murray with Paper Roses or boxer Rinty Monhagan singing " When Irish eyes are smiling" after a fight if he won or lost.
Tommy James , in the Assembly Rooms or playing in UTV in Tea Time with Tommy?
Donald

I remember Roger Whittaker as a back up guitar player on teatime with Tommy.I have only a few memories of the assembly room's, I remember May Mateer from our street singing If I were a Blackbird .James Young's two cousin's lived by us on Young st.(the Hannah sister's)they were very proud of him. Ken.

I remember Ruby Murray well, she lived down the street from my Aunt in Belfast. Sylvia

Heard Roger Whittaker giving an interview on German radio some time ago, talking with a hot potato in his mouth, couldn,t say scones, he called them scooons.

I,m getting old, didn,t Ronnie Carrol sing " Paper Roses and Ruby Murray " Scarlet Ribbons "?
Donald

Tom
Hope you didn,t misunderstand you in the store and order the singer Jimmy Young,s CD, that was his signature tune " Too young " Remember it ? it began " They tried to tell us we,re too young, too young to really be in love"
Donald

Donald, Ronnie (Cleghorn) Carroll did indeed sing paper roses,and sadly Ruby Murray passed away about five or six year's ago in Torquay in South Devon,she was a great singerin her time.

donald. thanks for that.
i have a horrible feeling you are right and the eagerly awaited cd will be ;they tried to tell us we,re too young etc'' ah well i,ll try again to get the real one

Hi everyone,
Talking about Ruby Murry,she was loved by my dad and early last year I searched everywhere for a cd. Then my son said "mum, you're on the internet why don't you download it! So simple.........I used Limewire and downloaded all the oldies.Especially the loved Irish songs.
Hope you are all well.
Sallyx

Sally, there's a new CD of Ruby Murray on Ebay at the moment, Item number: 4817867608 if your interested.
Terry

Sally,
I would not broadcast your down loading to much. You will find that it is illegal unless you are paying a fee per song.
Take care.

Thanks Terry will barter for that one.
whoops better keep quiet then!! Didn't realise it was illegal.........kids, see they still get you into trouble ha ha!

sally x