Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smile

This is the first time I've been on this sight, i'm not an exile, still in Lisburn. Just wanted to say I've so enjoyed reading all the threads, so many places and names have been mentioned that i used to hear my late Grandmother Lil Johnston (nee Mckibben) talk about it has amde me smile.

Re: Smile

Hello Lisburn person, nice to hear from you. Is your dads name Gerald by any chance?
Terry

Re: Re: Smile

No my uncle is gerald, known as squbby, his sister is my mum.

Lisburn Person and Tracy,

Are any of you related to Alfie Mc Kibbin from Young St.
I knew Alfie well.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Smile

Hello Tracy, say hello to your mum for me, and squibby, we were all neighbours and good friends on Young Street.

I went to Hilden school with Stanley McKibben and his older Brother (Preston I think ) 1956, any relations?
Donald

I seem to remember Alfie McKibben wearing a blue and silver 'Teddy-boy' suit that gave him the nickname of 'Sparkles McKibben'

Donald,Preston and Stan were cousins of Alfie,I wonder what Alfie is doing now?.When he drove for Gracey's he got me a job as a message boy for the Smith sisters in Mercer St.(Beano's territory)but I lost contact with him over the years.Ken.

Re: Re: Re: Smile

Ken,

I spoke to Alfie, when I was home in '04, I think he said he had or needed to have a hip replacement. I am sure he was living in the Longstone area at that time.
Incidentally I acted as message boy for Cissy and Eva for two weeks during the time I was working for Refausse's, I think Albert Morrison was their regular message boy at the time...........1950 wow..

Beano

Yes, I am a Mckibben, Alfie has had his hip replaced and living up in woodland, him and wife Anne are doing well. I remember my granny talking about Alfie's suit, oh this is all making me really smile.
Squibby is still down in Milltown but his wife is very ill, he hasn't changed any at all.g746

Hiya "Lisburn Person" I just wanted to say I knew your grandmother very well and all her family. In fact I am a friend of Patsy's, though we haven't seen each other for nearly 25 years. I was born and bred next door to them in Young street and remained friends for ever. Love Maureen Patterson