Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Friends

Old friends
Have you got the slightest idea how close you are to each other?
Do you orange/loyalists/ green /fenians realise that you share the same heritage? That wee Sally/ Billy is only a gnat’s whisker away from being Teresa /Paddy in the other camp? Do you think, in all the world, it really matters, other than to a few hundred of you at the most, whether you support the long-dead King William or king James?
As an old man, I remember LOVELY people, IRISH/ ULSTER people, with real fondness; some as crazily supportive of King Billy as the others were of King James; and sadly, on the whole , equally ignorant of the true history of Ireland.
Sure, there were/are some who would be eager to kill/die for their belief.
Christ! How much better that you should be prepared to say: “Hang on! Sammy/Mick, played marleys with my da as a child, niver mind about King Billy/ James! His granny made sandwiches for my uncle Jimmy!
If you could get this mentality going, it wouldn’t make us the cleverest people on Earth, but boy, we’d be hard to beat.

Re: Old Friends

Well Dabbler, the next time you write under the influence, warn us, as I didn't quite know how seriously to take that. Who is to know when you are in a pensive, poetic or distant and deep mode, or just had a glass too many? But who cares, you must be GORGEOUS!

Liz

For me the best thoughts, inspirations and topics for the forum materialise upon returning from Cloister Andecs, Oktoberfest, or some other "wet" area in or around Munich. Beer seems to activate by me some cells which have been lying dormant in the memory department for at least 50 years
Donald

Re: Re: Old Friends

After the battle of the Boyne, King James was sitting on a rock, King Billy rode up to him and said, "Whats the matter James?" James said "I dont know how you won, I had more ammo, men, horses etc." King Billy said to James, " Dont worry, it will all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks"

Liz
You are teasing again.
As a self-confessed little ugly duckling, I am still susceptible to a well-placed compliment.
Nice one Frazer!
By the way, are there many Frasers from the old town? At this precise moment; honestly; I have just remembered a Fraser. A smart young ‘Ted’, and one of the ‘in’ crowd of the Lisburn fifties.
Donald, I suspect you spill more on your tie than would send me over the limit.

To all,

I haven't been looking in for about three weeks as my wife Doreen was diagnosed with Cancer and has undergone some serious surgery. We have had a lot of great people from both sides of the "Divide" praying for her,I have a strong belief in the power of prayer and I truly believe that with God's help she will beat this thing.
I have been catching up on most of the topics but the two that struck me most at this time were Lambeg B&D and "lovers lane".I probably bumped into you at some point during courting days Low Roader or maybe even on the pitch. I played for Albert Foundry against the B&D in 1958,that was the only season I got with them,you can tell they were pretty short of players that year.
I sat down last night after talking to an old friend of mine from the "Co.Down" to read a lot of your comments and every one of you have given me a big lift with your contributions...... keep it up.

Beano

Beano,
I am very sorry to hear your news. The prayers of my wife and I are very much with you and your family.
If it is any comfort ( and it probably won't, to be honest), my wife was diagnosed with cancer three years ago and with the help of surgeons, clinicians and most importantly God, she has, thankfully survived although there have been times when we have both despaired. They say that God works in mysterious ways - and He does.
He may have sent us a problem, but he has given us the strength to face it and I am sure you and your wife will be given the same strength.
These sort of things put our lives in perspective.

With regards to the football, I did play against Albert Foundry a few times. I always admired the facilities at their ground. If memory serves me right they also had a very strong athletics club.

Beano
sorry to hear about your wife, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Donald

Beano
As a hardened old atheist, my warm wishes for your wife’s speedy recovery may seem less helpful than those with prayers behind them. But they are sincerely felt.
Readers
I have commented on another occasion about the potential veracity of the power of autosuggestion. This is going to seem even more odd. Once upon a time, a guy, who talked, or more likely, listened, to me, over several months, had more confidence in my ‘power’ than I, and asked me to ‘pray’ for his wife who had uterine problems. He said that a group of their friends were also ‘praying’. Well, I was persuaded to think about the lady over several weeks, in my ‘quiet’ moments, and was delighted, despite being convinced that my efforts were irrelevant, when he approached me to say thanks. She was fully recovered.
While the ‘spiritual’ mood is with me, here’s another one: Eight or nine years ago, a workmate told me that his sister-in-law had a little boy with extremely serious health problems since birth. He was a long way behind other one-year-olds, and, at the time of speaking to me, the child had collapsed and might die. It may be the Irish in me, but I thought back to the previous occasion when I had 'thought' about that lady, and I told him about that, and said I would think about his little nephew. For various reasons, I have not seen my workmate since then. But last week, I met his son, and I asked if he had a cousin with health problems. He says that the boy, although having to wear callipers on twisted little legs, is much stronger and more advanced nowadays. So, though no more convinced in a supreme being, I get a similar feeling to the that day, as a teenager, when I ‘stuck up for’ Young Dominic in the chip shop.
This reads like one of those little leaflets handed out by Evangelists or Jehovah Witnesses. Or the thoughts of a madman. Make what you like of it. It’s true.

Dear Madman, I mean Dabbler

It seems obvious to me your gift is "the gift of the gab" People want to listen to you - like I do. Go on, tell us about young Dominic in the chip shop.......

Liz

Re: Fraser Families in Lisburn

Dabbler you mentioned Fraser families. My mum and dad were divorced, and my mum remarried to a man called Jim Fraser. I think he was born about 1939, and was brought up in the Longstone, by his granny I think. He told me he knew Joseph Lock. He married my mum around 1975 I think, and he died in his early 60s about 3 years ago from a heart attack. I heard about his death just the day before my husband and I were to fly to Germany to visit family in Munich. We thought it was too late to cancel the visit, but when my husband found me still weeping four hours later, he cancelled the trip and we flew out the next day to home. Jim was a lovely man.

Does anybody remember him? He had a sister called Lorraine.

Liz

Liz
I AM a bit of a ‘patter merchant’. The chip shop was in reference to something equally true, written elsewhere on the forum.
Your own contributions are full of warmth and amusement. Keep ‘em comin’!

Dabbler, I missed the Dominic in the chip shop episode. Go on, tell us again, so I don't have to spend ages searching for it.

And can someone tell me why when I try to make a new subject like I just did with the Fraser Families in Lisburn, it doesn't work? How come it works for everyone else and not for me?

Liz

Dear Liz,
When you come into the website, on the page which lists all the subjects you will see a button marked POST.
Just click on that and you will be invited to open a new thread.
I hope this answers your question. If not - ask Donald.

LR

Re: Re: Fraser Families in Lisburn

Hiya Liz Yes I knew Jim whom your mum married. His mum was called Hessie Moore from (originally) chapel Hill. Hessie and my mum were very good friends. When my mother first came to Lisburn to live she lived with my Dad's aunt Maggie English on Chapel hill. I'm not sure if Hessie lived next door or facing her but she was very good to my mother and was one of the few people my mother felt treated her with kindness. They remained friends until my mother left to live in the Isle of Man in 1971. Hessie was a bit of a rough diamond in the nicest possible way and she had a heart of gold. I don't know how many children she had but I did know Lorraine and Jim.
I think eventually they lived on Manor Drive. I know Hessie was at some time called Moore, Fraser, and Henderson. She called her husband Hendy.
Can't remember any more.
Beano I am very sorry to hear of the health problems your wife is having and I sincerily hope the outlook will be a positive one for all of you........
I'd better not go on too much or Dabbler will be thinking it's a Jehovah's Witness tract!!
Love from Maureen

Liz
It was just rubbish about macho image kid with mouth bigger than fists.
Maureen
I meant that MY stories were like tracts. (Though the woman in question was/is a white witch).

Dabbler I know that....just joking. Maureen

Thanks LR, I can do it now!

Maureen, thanks for your info on the family of Jim Fraser. I didn't know him whilst I was in Lisburn, and his background is sketchy to me. The last place mum and Jim lived was Lagan Walk, just off Church St. One thing I did know, he made my mother very happy.

Liz

Re: Re: Re: Old Friends

HI BEANO. SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR TROUBLE TELL DOREEN TO HAVE FAITH THAT ALL WILL BE WELL SHE IS ON MY PRAYER LIST AND ALSO A LOT OF MY OTHER FRIENDS ARE PRAYING FOR HER GOD IS SO GOOD AND WE JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER ALL THINGS WORK FOR THE GOOD FOR THOSE THAT LOVE HIM ,I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU BOTH ON THE 24TH HOPE THE RESULTS ARE POSITIVE RENEE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Friends

Hi Harnee (Renee),

Thank you so much for your kind sentiments. Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. I will keep you posted regarding Doreen's progress.

God Bless,
Beano