Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn visit

Hi everyone,
I had a lovely time in Lisburn even if it did rain everyday! Had to buy a umbrella which kept getting mislaid. Twice I left it in Woolworths!
I decided not to hire a car and walked for miles, now I am suffering from huge blisters.
The bed and breakfast "Overdale" on Belsize road was lovely. Malcome and Sue where amazing. They could not do enough for me. So it comes highly recommended. The breakfast was the best bit tho'! I only took one fry and had toast the rest of my stay, but don't tell anyone I visited a cafe in Lisburn each morning and had a big breakfast about 11am!
The Point is another nice pub come meal house. The food was lovely. Yes I did eat alot but it was the fresh air
Donald, I met up with Pat McClure and he sends his best regards to you. I met his saturday nite at something Caloons in Lambeg and he was good company. Gave me some more history of the Johnstons.
Also mentioned Mary Fulton and how she once even got into the boxing ring and caused mayhem Apparently they wanted to stop a match that was going on and she wouldn't have non of it so got into the ring and all hell broke loose. Families!!

Re: Lisburn visit

Sally
Welcome back.
At The Quay, I watched a boxing match in which Jackie Morrison and his opponent stood toe to toe, holding chin out for the opponent to hit. The referee stepped in to stop the fight in favour of Jackie’s opponent, though neither had gone down, and there was absolute mayhem!
Dabbler

Thanks Dabbler, I do like boxing myself (not me personally). It was dad's favourite sport. He gave my two brothers a pair of gloves each one year and put them both in the garden and let them get stuck in! I wanted a go as well so he sparred with me but hit me on the nose and I lost my temper and flew for him!!
He made sure I could hold my own if ever needed.
So is that the reason why whenever my brothers got into any bother I was sent out to sort it!

Sally
I must add that I remember Big Mary rowing with the ref, who said; (we could all hear him, I think he used a loudspeaker); that he knew the family, had watched Jackie grow up, and couldn’t let him get hurt. As the Marquis of Queensbury rules state that a fighter must defend himself at all times, the ref would have been justified, and wiser, to have declared the contest void, as neither boxer was making any effort to protect himself.

Nice to have you back Sally, Wife, family and I stayed in the same digs Christmas about 12 years ago, it was once the home of the owner of Burnhouse animal products Maze and his wife , who was Dutch. When I stayed there it was owned by McMullens, possible the owners now are family.
Glad you met Pat, the pub must have been Rabbie Cahoons, once the Sportsmans Inn owned by the widow Hamilton in my youth. It was renamed Cahoons in memory a man who 80 or 90 years ago my Grandfather once told me, organised greyhound racing and / or pony trotting in a field behind it.
I,m on a diet also, first few days are always difficult, I keep peeping in the fridge. But I put all my beer in the cellar so as not to be tempted.
Did you get up to Down Villas?
Donald