Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stepping Back

Donald,

I was checking some of the Forum entries earlier in the year around about the time I was injured. I noticed that you where related to Bobby and Doreen Mateer, and I wanted to say that I knew them both very well. They were in fact very close friends of my family. For Maureen's info, Doreen was related to Martha Waring from Sloan St. whose husband Tommy was a painter for the Lisburn Council, they had one son Parker. By the way Tommy was also the brother of Billy Waring (Tech Principal) and Sam Waring who was Mill Manager at the Island Spinning Co.
Back to Bobby, he was quite the character and as you said yourself, he was a great guy for the whiskey,with all that he had a heart of pure gold.

Beano

Re: Stepping Back

Beano
You have made me unsure ,but I always thought it was Bobby who was related to the Waring family.If my info is correct, Bobby,s mother, who was my Grandma and Martha Waring were sisters, their maiden name was something like Maheer. I think Doreen came from Belfast, at least I was with Bobby once in Sandy Row visiting an Aunt of Doreens. Back to the Mateers and Maheers, I remember about 45 years ago Bobby showing another brother ( Mateer or Maheer ) who came home from Canada for a Holiday around Hilden and Lisburn. Their was a big write up about it in the Star and caused a family dispute because all the family were not mentioned.
Maybe the other Co Downers know more
Donald

Did'nt Doreen and Bobby live in Greenwood Estate..?? Alanbrooke Avenue.... They lived next door to my great aunt, Margaret Corken (nee Coard) who was married to Cecil, he worked for the Electric Board for years, reading meters around the County Down, Margaret worked in the Tilly Lamp with my Granny, Charlotte Orr and then up in Thiepval Barracks in the Officers Mess.

Sadly, Margaret passed away two years ago this coming November. Cecil's still kicking around, doing the odd wee bet. Harry, their son, emigrated to the States and is on the exiles page if anyone'e interested.

I remember Doreen and Bobby Mateer from visits to my aunts and recall that Bobby drank in Alexanders.. They were at a few parties at my parents house, Jim and Sandra McCleery, I was a wee lad but I can remember the uproarious laughter, the Craic must have been mighty...

Re: Re: Stepping Back

Hi Donald,

I can't argue with you on that one, Doreen and Martha were always very close. I think that is the only reason I thought they were the ones who were related, your statement makes more sense, either way they were still a nice couple.

Richard (Jim)
When I knew Bobby and Doreen they lived in"Alanbrook".
By the way was Cecil Corken the same one who played in the "Lisburn Silver" band.

Beano

B eano
Maybe Maureen knows, she still writes to Bobby,s daughters
Donald

Hiya everyone....The warings from sloan street were Bobby's relatives not Doreen's. Doreen came from Belfast.... as somebody said ....the Sandy Row area.

Hi Maureen
nice to have you back, Thanks for the info, I wasn,t sure myself, We had very little contact with the Waring family, met Parker,s wife a few times at Bobby,s, think she was also from Belfast
Donald

Is Bobby Mateer any relative to Arnold who lived up Warren Gardens around Beechland Drive I think.

Daphne,
Arnold who would be around 63 now was Bobby,s nephew, he had a brother called Kenneth I think. Or do you mean Bobby,s youngest brother who was also Arnold , he worked in Hilden mill as a boss, but went to England in the early sixties?
Donald

Arnold & Kenneth both went to Lisburn Central but I don't know where they are today.

Daphne