Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sally

Hello everyone,
It's nice to be back!
I am going over to Lisburn on the 26th for a week.
I want to go to Downvillas, are you still able to go down the steps to get to it or is it overgrown? I know the houses are no longer there but want to place some flowers on the spot.
I promised I would take dad 'home' when his time came but my two brothers wanted him to be buried here in Bournemouth so they would be able to visit him on birthdays and special occasions. Fully understandable. He is now in a nature place in the new forest. Ponies, rabbits and deer etc. Its lovely and peaceful.
I am looking forward to going over next monday plus it would of been dad's birthday so will have a drink on him at his local the Hilden or should I say the tipsy toad (renamed)Once again thankyou all for your kind words. Sally x

Re: Sally

Hi Sally,
What a lovely gesture.

I am afraid you cannot get to Down Vills via the 41's as they are no longer there.
There are two possible ways assuming you can, in fact get to the spot at all.
1) From Lisburn.
Park the car at the Island complex and walk down the towpath to the locks where you may get up to the houses. It would probably be a 20+ minute walk. The tow path has been tarmacced but trainers or sensible walking shoes would be advisable.

2) From Hilden.
Park the car at the new fancy housing complex just over the bridge towards Tullynacross then walk back up the towpath towards Lisburn. This is much shorter and could give you two possible entries to the houses.

I am sorry I cannot confirm the accessability but you will, I am sure find a way, if the old lanes are closed off. Good Luck.
Donald may be able to help further when he comes on in the morning as he has been home very recently.

Hi Sally,

As Low Roader says what a wonderful gesture, your Dad would be proud of you. It is nice to know that your Dad is at peace in the New Forest, we visit there often when we visit my sister in "Bearwood". Incidentally we will be going over to Bournemouth in March D.V. for my nephews wedding. Good luck with your visit home on the 26th., hope you find what you are looking for.

Beano

Hi Sally
when you are over try to book a trip on the Lagan Belle, it takes you down almost to where the lane up to Down Villas started. I agree with Lowroader your best bet is to walk from the Lagan centre down past the point. I think the path is open, if not go past it and the next lane right is Kellys hill. Go up it and turn right, which will bring you also to the site where Down Villas stood. Another alternative would be to seek the assistance of Jimmy McClure, a local Taxi driver and Lisburn Character. His elder brother was incidently married to your Dad,s cousin Marie Fullerton and could fill you in on family details. Go to the Linfield Bar in Bridge Street and ask Jim Bain to put you in touch with him or one of his brothers, they all drive taxis around Lisburn. A nice day,s walk is to start at the Lagan centre, walk to Hilden , via Down Villas , left at Hilden bridge , past Hilden school, call in (and they may show you the old registers where your Dad,s attendance was recorded ), through Hilden park and lunch in the Hilden brewery, beside where your Dad held the welcome speech at the school allotments, continue up the Lowroad, left into Barley hill estate, then right and across the Lagan back to your car. The whole distanc would be between 4 and 5 miles.
Donald

Sally,
it,s me again, I meant the Hilden Brewery, not the Tipsy Toad for lunch. When you come through Hilden Park, turn left and after about 200yards you will see Delacherios Ave. on the right. Directly facing it on the left is a Laureled Driveway leading to Hilden House that is now a Brewery which produces real ale and has a very high standard of cuisine. Don,t be disappointed with Hilden Mill. Pity someone doesn,t take it over and create luxury living accomadation, as the view is suberb and the place steeped in history. Have a nice holiday
Donald

I was in Lisburn with dad four years ago and stayed in my aunt's flat by the railway bridge (near the memeorial) We both drove down to the mill, passed the school and dad mentioned how it thrived in his day. He used to earn good money then joined the forces to recieve a much lower income!
Delacherois avenue is where my cousin lives. She works in the off licence (Tipsy Toad). I haven't told them I am coming yet. Plus I wish to go to Banbridge to see a uncle.
I certainly will look up Jimmy Donald, as I am going to do some family research. Bought myself a rucksack yesterday to carry note pads,pens, camera so on a mission!
I have printed off all your suggestions on how to get to Downvillas so if I am not on line in 10 days I am lost I recall going down the steps as a child (aged 12 the last time) that's when I recall the double toilet, that still makes me laugh.
If anyone recalls my Uncle Sammy he is in Stevenage and came to the funeral. He, like dad has never lost his accent. He is a Fulton tho', the double of my nan Sadie. Sammy is the last one now from the family but I think he will go on for ever as he does not look his age at all!
I would like to ask do you think its safe to go to Belfast at the moment as I want to go to the GRO. Hubby is concerned, I'm not but I just want to put his mind at rest.
Beano I live in Bearwood also.
Sally x

Sally,
You are going to be a busy little bee when you get home.
I was in Belfast a couple of months ago. It is a marvellous city. If you do go try and do the bus tour. It really is magic. I never felt in any danger. Mind you I have not gone into the city at night. I don't know where you are staying but if it is in Lisburn there is a very frequent bus or train service to Belfast.

Thanks Lowroader will have a go at the bus tour.
Getting excited now and I have been on a strick diet for the past week ready for those Ulster frys, cannot wait! I couldn't do my jeans up after the last visit.
I am staying in B&B in lisburn so will be up early and the first in the breakfast room.The owners will be saying after I leave " That woman from over the water ate for the whole of Ireland"

Hi Sally, I am so pleased for you, and wish you a happy and safe time in Lisburn. You mentioned you are staying at a b&b in Lisburn. Can you let us know where it is and how you got on there. There seems to be so few b&bs in Lisburn, at least on the net.

Liz

Re: Re: Sally

Sally, the bridge at the back gate of the mill (Hilden ) is in a bad state , closed off also the 41s too, best bet is from Hilden I would think.

have a nice holiday Sally, come back safe
Donald

Re: Re: Sally

Sally,

If you read this in time, go to the "Country Kitchen"in Sloan St. in the Co.Down and have a piece of their Rhubarb Tart, it is to die for. This was recommended to me by Harnee and it definitely did not disappoint. Of course it was preceded by an Ulster Fry...what else
Have a wonderful holiday.

Beano