Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions

I got much information from the site through the Lisburn Guide 1983. All stuff that I think I should have been taught in school. Thanks.
Can anyone tell me about Warren Park? The NAME sets loud bells clanging in my head, yet I can recall NOTHING about the park; its whereabouts, appearance, NOTHING.

Re: Questions

Dabbler
if I remember correctly Warren Park was a street or housing estate around the Longstone. There was another area beside it called Warren Gardens. Maybe some of the Longstoners know more
Donald

I believe Warren Park was the original name for the green area that included the old Lisburn Golf Course, it runs between Hillsborough Road and Longstone Street as well as Warren Gardens and back onto the Manor House Home. mapquest.com has a decent map that shows the area, though it is modern yopu can get an idea of what it was like because the Leisureplex is located in the ground which was formerly the old golf course...

Thanks Richard and Donald
I remember the golf course.

Dabbler
if you remember the golf course it,s possible you also remember your old mate TL used to go up sometimes early mornings and have a practice round before the regulars came, where he got the clubs and balls from I can only guess
Donald

Donald
TL, as one might have guessed, had many a drink with my old dad. And yes, on one of the few occasions that I walked across the golf course, it was to watch the bold Tommy in action.

Re: Re: Questions

Talking about T.L., I remember him hitting golf balls beside the old cannon in Castle Gardens trying to bounce them off Union Bridge.What a man .

Re: Re: Re: Questions

Also the story about T.L. , his mom asking him to get the milk and he put his elbow through the window to reach the milk sitting on the window sill outside.

Frazer
I heard that one too; didn’t know about the golf in Castle Gardens, but I’m not in the least surprised.
From what I remember of him, he never grew up.

Warren Psrk is/was an area surrounded by Sandy Lane which ran along the old Cemetry.Warren Pk Ave. (where I lived) was the first turning on the right. The second turning was Warren Pk Dr. which ran parallel to W.P.A. The other side is Warren Gardens which runs from Longstone St. right through to Upper Sandy Lane. In betwenn Longstone and Warren Pk Gds. was an area of open round whcih had a rough pathway that ran through to Blaris Pk. That area is now full of council houses. The older houses were originally for returned servicemen/women but gradually were used by the council as public housing.

Sorry Donald, As you ca see from my earlier response to your msg. I was educated at the Central. Probably accounts for the poor grammar and spelling but at my age I really don't care too much. Apart from that, the rest of my info is basically correct.Mercury

Mercury &co
Where was Lovers’ Lane? Magheraleave Road? Or was there more than one?

Dabbler,
Lovers Lane ran from the Magheralave Road to Kirk woods Road alongside the Friends School playing fields.
I think the other road was Kirwoods Road which ran on to the Antrim Road. The road (whatever its proper name ) ran from the Antrim Road to the Belsize Road past Duncan's Dam and the Artesian Well , which, I believe was originally Lisburn's sole source of water.
I think the Barbour family were involved in the well being sunk(over to you Donald)
I stand to be corrected but I know, when I was courting Mrs Low Roader we used to walk through the Wallace Park up the Magheralave across Lovers Lane up Kirkwoods Road? and on to the Belsize before heading down to Wallace Park.
I now realise why there was less promiscuity in those days.
We were knackered!!!

Thanks lowroader
It made me smile. I remember that I did much more walking than courting. The few girls that I ‘went out with’ must have been exhausted.

I found this in the web, but I never heard or read anything how or when the well got it,s name.
Donald

http://www.lisburn.com/books/lisburn_miscellany/miscellany_3.html

Since 1935, when the "John D. Barbour Well" started to pour forth its unending stream of very high quality water to Boomer's Reservoir, it has never run dry. It sent up seventeen thousand gallons per hour when it commenced and, as the borehole was beside Duncan�s Dam, it was said that they were pumping the water out of the dam and running it back into it when the pump was on test. It was, however, coming up from the four hundred feet bore-hole. It was a great success and the forerunner of three other bore-holes. They were bored through Triassic sandstone, three of them four hundred feet deep and one six hundred feet deep. It is interesting to note the colours of the sandstone layers-red, green, grey, yellow, blue and white, and to think that the sandstone was laid down millions of years ago.

Donald,
I think the well was named as an Artesian well because the first one of its type was sunk in Artois in France. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
I am pretty sure I learnt that information at the glorious seat of learning down by the River Lagan.
I will now go and do a Google to see if there is any truth in the statement. I shall report back at later time.

Donald,
Just done a Google with the following result:

Artesian Wells

Artesian wells are named after the town of Artois in France, where the first one was drilled in 1126. The technique used was percussion drilling in which a rod with a hard iron cutting edge is placed in the bore hole and repeatedly struck with a hammer

http://scholar.chem.nyu.edu/tekpages/artesian.html

I presume I got the knowledge at our school because of the Barbour connection.

Lowroader
Thanks for the info, I was always under the impression that the word Artesian meant highly skilled tradesman Well we are never too old to learn.
Donald.

Donald,
Methinks the word you are looking for is "artisan"
LR