Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
trivia

Can anyone recall New Holland , a place in Lisburn. Comon give it a try.

Re: trivia

Hi Fraser,

Wasn't that a sewage treatment plant, at least that is what I remember.

Beano

Morning all,
New Holland was facing Hilden mill near to Tullynacross, was it not.
It's still there with a fancy entrance hiding it's darker secrets.

It was called New Holland I think because some of the first Hughenoten who landed in Ireland came from Holland and settled there and started a bleaching green there, at least Mr Woodende told us so.
Donald

Donald,
You may well be right and I was never one to challenge Wee Waddy, but I thought the Huegenots came from France.

Lowroader, I was only partly right about them coming from Holland, the Huegenots originated in France ,but were forced to flee and some fled to Holland and then had to leave there as well. I can imagine it was some of those who wee Waddy spoke about. It can be read in following web, here an extract
Donald

http://www.lisburn.com/books/huguenots/huguenots_2.html

The movement of "foreign Protestants" began about 1540, soon after the ideas of Protestantism began to spread. Luther died in 1546 during the reign of Henry VIII, when there was a small colony of refugees in London. Henry regarded all foreigners as potential spies, but his son Edward VI gave them Churches in which to worship. Mary I reversed this policy and English refugees fled to the Calvinist cities of Geneva and Frankfurt. The situation changed again with the accession of Elizabeth I. However it is remarkable that as one door closed another opened, and there was always a State that promised shelter; and after Holland declared itself a Calvinist State in 1622, it became the chief refuge. Later Sweden, Denmark, South Africa, Carolina in America, the West Indies, also received "Foreign Protestants", although at first the influence of the Jesuits barred them from Canada.

Re: Re: trivia

Yes ,once again you are right Beano.