Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hibernation???

Is there anybody there? said the traveller, knocking on the moonlit door, as his horse in the silence chomped the grasses of the forest's ferny floor.......and so on.......
Where are you all?.......................If somebody doesn't write something soon I'm going to start writing a load of boring stuff..
I'm off to Cornwall next Saturday for our annual two week holiday so I will not be able to read any of your comments for a while...
Are any of you familiar with the County of Cornwall or is it the Duchy of Cornwall?
Personally I love it..in fact if I could afford it I would probably choose to live down there.
We usually go to a place called Perranporth which is about eight miles south of Newquay. The writer Winston Graham who wrote the Poldark books lived there for a long time and obviously wrote his books there. He use to have a hut on the cliffside where he went to do his writing but unfortunately someone decided to burn it down.
Well I did tell you if someone didn't write soon I was going to start with the boring stuff............
So come on hurry up !!!!!

Re: Hibernation???

Maureen
How do you define ‘boring’? Potted Herrings? Ghosts in Photos? Psychic Energy?
...knocking on the old inn door?
I was at one time familiar with Devon, and a small section of CornwalI. To me, in the sixties, Bude was beautiful. Clovelly too, was a quaintly beautiful village with it’s steep cobbled street. At that time I enjoyed driving with my little family in my brand new Vauxhall Viva from South to North Devon, glorying in the rugged splendour of the Moor.
Even in those days, traffic queues were a nuisance. I recall turning back on a trip to Totnes, because we were almost at a standstill for an hour. Nowadays, for me, such driving has lost it’s appeal. But some of the scenery is breathtaking. And we found the natives helpful and friendly in the farmhouse B and B’s on our travels to Westward Ho, via Plymouth taking in Torquay and cream teas en route.
As is evident from my input to the Forum, I am submerged in nostalgia. The terrors of seeing old vehicles overheating on Porlock Hill are buried in the mists of time, while my children’s sand and bucket pleasure is a memory as fresh as then.
Enjoy!!

PS: I thought I had already submitted this a few minutes ago. So if it tries to show twice...?!? Old age, I guess. Well, that’s my excuse.

Re: Re: Hibernation???

Hiya Dabbler....It was nice to come onto the forum this morning and see a friendly face...!!!!
The traffic problems in the west country don't seem to have improved much unfortunately. We usually set off in the middle of the night because the M5 and the M6 are comparatively quiet. There are 18 of us going down this year plus 6 dogs so as usual it has to be arranged like a military exercise. It's all worth it though because we all normally have a good time.I have to rush away now I will be back on later. Have a nice day! Maureen

Re: Re: Re: Hibernation???

Hi Maureen,my Mother lived in Paignton Devon for quite a few years and we used to visit her almost every year,it is such a nice area with all the small towns around like Dabbler says Totnes,Dartmouth,etc.The cream teas were something to look forward to as well as the fish and chips.Now my Mother moved to Glasgow were the weather is not as warm,and there are no cream teas!and they speak funny!.

Hi Maureen,

It is over thirty five years since we were in Cornwall, it was beautiful then and I am sure it is still the same to this day. Have a wonderful holiday, after all your problems this past year you deserve it. Let us know how it all goes when you get back.

By the way did you ever give any more thought to sending the photo of Colin in his CLB uniform?.

Beano

Maureen
How many? Is that a family trip, or are you taking the Girl Guides?
I’ve been for a walk today. Over fields, through gates, (none of the old stiles that I recall from boyhood), past sheep, cows and horses, three or four miles, uphill and down, and ended up at a village pub for lunch. The walk back was a little slower, following a hearty meal washed down with a couple of pints of real ale. My daughter-in-law, or maybe my son, paid for the meal, my wife did not once moan at me, but joined in their laughter at my ‘It Ain’t Half Hot Mum’ shorts, and a jolly nice time was had by all.
My wife tells me that a friendly neighbour intends to give me painting lessons. During an evening at her house, she apparently noticed that I demonstrated particular approval of her talents. How I got through that evening of wine drinking and art appreciation without mentioning Walter Sickert or Jack The Ripper is in itself a mystery.
Tomorrow, I must remember to get and replace a headlamp bulb. I looked at the maintenance book today. It says: Press clips to remove bulb and replace. Yeah, right! And what about the four bolts that hold that flange before you get to the headlight housing? Peugeot, old thing; we only do a few miles a week.
This is beginning to look like a Dabbler Blog, so I’ll leave you for now.

hiya Beano...I still haven't worked out how to do the photo thing but when I come back from Cornwall I will get my son in law to help me. I also have a football photo with I think Barnsley star on it. My uncle Victor is on it but don't let that put you off!!!
Dabbler Those 18 people consist of Myself and my husband Paul, three of my daughters and their husbands, five grand children, one of my sons, my youngest daughter, her best friend, and my eldest daughter's best friend and her little girl....
everyone is very excited and full of plans about what we are going to be doing...four of the party have never been to Cornwall before so we are all excited about showing them our favourite haunts.....
I will tell you all about it when we come home....

Bye for now Maureen

I visited a small village called FOWIE in cornwall when i was in the navy .Is it still as beautiful as i remember it

Harold, Fowey is still as beautiful. It's difficult to think of somewhere in Cornwall that is not beautiful. I personally love fishing villages so as you can imagine I am in my element down there. I particularly love Polperro.....and Mousehole (pronounced Mousel)...and mevagissey.....etc.etc.
Changing the subject..Renee said that Billy was coming over soon..will you please tell him I send my love...
all the best for now.
Maureen

Re: Re: Re: Hibernation???

maureen
i spent two weeks in mevigessay in about 1964 and went to aden in a troopship called empire fowey in about 1959 so it,s a smallmworld ??