Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soda & Wheatenside Bread ( Bannock )

Here's how I make my bread,(Soda Bannock) 3 cups all purpose flour,1 tsp salt,1 tsp baking soda,1/2tsp cream of tarter (raisins can be added if you want raisin soda) mix all together add 1 & 1/2 cups of buttermilk till it all comes together,put it onto a floured board and knead ,form it into a round put in a round floured pan and bake for about 45mins at 400 degrees test with a toothpick if it comes out clean it is ready . Now for the Wheaten bannock do the same as the Soda except instead of 3 cups of flour you use 1 cup flour and 2 cups of whole wheat flour .Cool covered with a dry tea towel.Enjoy.!!!I make these almost every week you can make extras and put in the freezer.

Re: Soda & Wheatenside Bread ( Bannock )

THANKS SALLY! You must be in Canada or America to say 'all purpose flour'. I take it that means plain flour? I always worry when I see 'cups' as I used to wonder, what cup, big small or medium, but now I have bought measures of the American cup. And as for toothpick, my only use of those is for cocktail sausages! Anyway it must be a treat to come to tea in your house!

Liz

Hi Sally, Thanks for the recipe, will give it a go. I've been dying for some wheatenside and Soda.Will let you know how it turns out.
Betty's wee sister and Wilma's cousin. Sylvia.

Hi Sally, since I can only dream of going to your house for tea, I tried your recipe yesterday. I wondered what on earth I would produce out of the oven. I had done the one with the one part flour and two parts wheaten flour. I didn't realise until I put the flour away, that I had used self raising flour instead of plain. I also ran out of buttermilk and had to add semi skimmed milk to get it together. That's why I wondered what I would produce.

It looked wonderful when baked, and my husband and I gazed at it with admiration for a while. Later on I thought I would have to break into it and test it. My opinion? Well, not too good. May I say it, (or is Richard McCleery around) it needed a spoonful of sugar! It was heavy. Sally is that because I didn't knead it enough ( only for a minute or two), or the lack of enough buttermilk?

I don't want to give up, so I would love your advice Sally!

Liz

Liz,

I did not mention sugar in relation to wheaten bread, only soda. You probably needed to add a beaten egg and maybe some butter. I'm not much of a baker but I loved to bake scones and some bread when I was back home, my Granny Orr loved my date and wheaten scones... I got, or should I say my wife got, baking supplies at the weekend and I'm going to give it a go in the next few days, I'll report back on the results.

Happy Labour Day,

Richard