Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Report from Norniron Holiday and Lagan Belle

Hallo everybody,
back from a short unplanned holiday in Norniron, to see my aunt Shelia home from the States. The Watters family all took a Lagan Belle boat trip on the Lagan to the place of our birth at Lisnatrunk. The boat owner, his wife and crew were absolutly fantastic, everything is planned down to the last detail. It was an experience to go through the locks at the Union bridge with a beer in hand.
Lisburn is changing fast, anyone who wants to see it as they remember it should hurry. Train journey to Belfast was also an experience as the trains are open plan , air conditioned and fast. It,s a journey down memory lane with names like Hilden ,Lambeg, Derriaghy, etc flashing past. Fish and chips smell everywhere, but not unpleasant,It,s handy to be able to walk through the Castle Gardens from the Union Bridge to Castle St. Convent demolished, Forty ones closed, Hilden Mill bad state of repair, Bridge St being rebuilt and Piper,s Hill has no street name on it. Saw the Exhibition in the Assembly rooms about wartime Lisburn, very interesting. Had a great time, the positive side outweighs by far the few negative aspects.
Donald

Re: Report from Norniron Holiday and Lagan Belle

Donald, My mother who lives in Scotland was in Lisburn last week, she took a trip on the Lagan Belle and thoroughly enjoyed it. She was delighted to see the lagan being put to good use again and the locks working after all these years. At 85 years old now, it brought back a lot of memories for her.
Terry

Welcome home donald,
I felt the same as you about Lisburn. Yes there are some bad aspects which should not be overlooked but I thought the general improvement was more than a plus.
Pity about Hilden but the old school still brings back a lot of happy memories.
The trip on the Lagan was a highlight for me.

It was lovely to meet you Donald..to put a face to the name
Glad you enjoyed your trip'home'
Maggi

Maggie
Same here, pity the Linfield Bar wasn,t open we could have had a few
Donald

Donald

I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition at the Assembly Rooms. I loved the enlarged photographs, and I brought a booklet with them in home with me. Did you see the oldie of Piper's Hill. It is just as I remember it as a child. I used to play around there - when I wasn't in the wee park of course........

Liz