Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maurice Dickey

Hi Beano and all, just thought you would like to know Maurice Dickeys daughter and hubby are staying with me after a world tour. nice to have someone from the 'town ;

Re: Maurice Dickey

Fraser, is that the girl who was in Canada for Adams wedding?
Terry

Fraser, my grandmother was related to Lizzy Dickey and Mona Dickey from the Bradbury Buildings. Are your guests related to these at all?

Liz

hi fraser
I remamber Maurice going to Hilden school
around 1955
Donald

Fraser Your visitor isn't called geraldine is she?

Re: Re: Maurice Dickey

Hi Liz,

My grandmother Sarah Hanna's maiden name was Dickey and she had five sisters, Lizzie, Margaret(Madge) Edith, Alice and Mary Ann(Mona). Could this be just another coincidence. Incidentally "Ward Park" in Warren gardens is named after Edith's husband Jimmy Ward.

Beano

Hi Beano, I have been in the cupboard to find notes my mother made before she died about her family. They are a bit garbled, but here goes:-

My mother's mother was Mary Gilliland, maiden name Scott. Her mother's maiden name was Molly McClean. Mary Scott went to New Jersey to marry Hugh Scott, and they had a child Lizzy, then my grandmother. They returned to NI. Lizzy married John Dickey and they had seven children - Alfred, Margaret, Sarah, Lizzy, John, Monica, Robert, James. That makes 8, but I am just repeating what my mother wrote down. I hope this is enough for you to be able to know if there is a link in our families. If my memory is correct, I remember a Mona very well, my mother died in 1991, and I am sure Mona was still alive.

Liz

Re: Re: Maurice Dickey

Hi Liz,

There may be a connection somewhere in the Dickey clan, if only because of the names. In any case I think your grandmother would have been a generation later. My great grandfather was Robert Dickey,his wife was Mary Jane. In addition to the girls I listed previously there was another girl called May that made six. There was also five boys, Samuel, Robert, John, Henry & William. Henry was the father of the late Alderman Jim Dickey who served on the Lisburn council for many years. As I said before Liz, there may be a connection along the line, not as direct as I first thought.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Maurice Dickey

hi all Des. Dickey worked in Paddy Elmers selling fish ,he is Maurices uncle.

Hi Fraser and everybody
was there another Morris Dickey aged about 60 / 61 who went to Hilden school with me ? He lived around the Longstone somewhere. If I remember rightly he had a younger sister and his father had died very young. I think his mother was from around Hilden or Lowroad because my Aunts spoke about her often
Donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maurice Dickey

Hi Fraser, A friend of mine also worked in Elmers, John Jo Bradley from Long Kesk, indirectly he was probably the most important guy in town, because he was responsible for cooking the “Potted Herrings”
Terry