Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A stroll out of the Borough

Its been a while since I have taken this walk so bear with me as 55 years ago places & names have changed but as I remember them I will try & relate a few things. NO OFFENCE INTENDED To ANYONE MENTIONED.
First we will start from Davie & Sammy Smyths Garage where they ran a car & tractor repair business [ & Vulcanised Inner Tubes ]!!! Kathleen Mc Adam worked in the Office. Opposite was Kilwarlin House owned by the Mc Guinnis family.Then on towards Lisburn was Mc.Cready the school master, Mc Ivor the Dentice, Rev.J.Herbert Orr Minister of the Presbyterian Church,Norman Davis had a Poultry Farm next,across the road was, Cromlyn Lodge ,owned by the Mc Gifford family. Now owned by David Kinghan. Opposite the Carnreagh Rd. was a lane leading to Chimney Hall. A row of stone cottages Sammy Marshall was one who lived there. Sammy worked for Willie Bell [Fruit Hill] Next place. The Beeches,or Eglintine Manse. Opposite there was a dwelling house[cannot remember who lived there] but was probably owned by Hubert Nelson as it was on his ground. Corner of Harrys Rd Was Hubert Nelsons a Gentelman Farmer of his day. One of Huberts sayings to us Kids whether true or false was,[ Your Ma keeps your hair nice for your Da not to be working ]end of Quote.!!A couple of houses at Eglintine one was Bertie Abbots then E.T.Green of Eglintine House.Opposite is the Ravarnett Rd which we will traverse along.First house was Toppings,Norman & Sarah went to school with me. Norman emigrated to New Zealand & I lost touch of him,Sarah married Graham Larmour of Hooks Corner. Next tucked in a corner of the road was Mrs Greers wee shop. I would buy a bottle of Cantral & Cochrane Saspralla and some loose Biscuits on a warm summer day. Then on the right there was a long laneway or Right Of Way which led to Murphys Carnreagh Cottage [Back Way] & eventually to the Carnreagh Rd.Exiting close to Bells of " Blundell Hill" & Dunlops of" The Hill" Carnreagh.
On the left in the hollow of the road was Jim Walsh a Builder.Passing more homes too numerious to mention.
Sammy Ritchie on the right.He was a Brother of Billy George Ritchie of the Pub in the Borough.Sammy ran a Taxi service as well as farmed, & many a time 8 or 10 would SQUEEZE into his Taxi to go to a Social or Dance. Through his yard & up a very long laneway to the Briggs Family farm,many a good time was had with some of the 13 family members of this Briggs family.
On the same laneway also lived Tommy,Betty & Phyllis Tate. Skip a few more places & on to Willie Waterworths Blacksmiths Shop & fabrication & Welding. Billy Bittle & Thomas Davis once worked there. Thomas did not keep very good time & Willie would ask Thomas Well what is the excuse this morning ? I will not repeat some of Thomas's excuses. On to Mc Canns farm where Francie Davies worked & lived. Francie was a Mentally deranged person but harmless. Then at the crossroads facing you was the Post Office run by Tom Mc Gifford ,wife & Daughter Betty. Going on straight would take you to Deneight & Corry's Glen.
[this may not be the Corry's Glen that the Loadroaders of this site talk about as there is another Glen by the same name possibly spelt different] closer to Lisburn. Turn right at the crossroads towards Watsons Bridge or better known to me as REIDS CORNER. We will pass Henry Kerr's Farm & Owner of the Popular Cafe on Castle St Lisburn. Lena Stevenson lived at Kerr's & ran the Popular Cafe . She also Catered to many Socials & dances in the area. [I recall many a good BUN WORRIE at these]!!!!
Then there is Presho's Pub. Now named ' " The Tidy Doffer" Where its hard to get a better meal. I will let Beano,Lowroader,& all the other fine mill workers tell you what a Doffer is.!!!!!
The Famous Reids corner crossroads of the Bluegate Rd. now named The Comber Rd. Kerry Graham had a wee shop at the corner & Sammy Ritchies Taxi could be found parked there often. Head on towards Hillsborough passing Byers Hut Where Darts was played , Then on the right was Jordie Pattison's said to make the best Home Brew or Poteen in the country. Not a bit of wonder all the activity about the place.
He also had very good Holly Trees where we would get our Xmas Holly. Past the BACK Laneway to the Brigg's family farm. Mc Cambleys Jim & Kathleen. Jim was Land Stewart for E.T.Green. Kathleen married [ "Leather Lugs" John Stevenson]Named because he wore a leather motorcycle helmet. A fairy well across the road. Kerrs at the corner of Carnreagh Rd. Yvonne,Sydney,& Elma lived there. Shovels Forth a historic site which was leveled flat by the owner.
Cannot imagine who gave permission to do this.!!!!
Past many more homes & farms. The Mc Connell Batchelor brothers who never paid Taxes [it is said] & would chase the Tax Collectors of their property with a Pitchfork [Police Included] Troutans Corner at the Ballynahinch Rd. Facing The Park Wall.
Turn right on into the Borough going down the Nursery Hill & around the corner intersection of The Cottage Rd or another end of the Carnreagh Rd.
Up this road lived x service men & their famlies, Some Names,Quinton Hare, Matchetts, Thompsons,Close, Willie Walker just to name a few. At the T intersection was where the Miss Lindseys lived .they had nice apples & pears[ worth Proging] opposite was Davis's laneway. turn right up the hill to the front gates of Bell's of " Blundell Hill " down the hill & around the corner is Dunlops of " The Hill" Murphys Lane, Murphy & Tate's both on this lane.up a way's awood frame bungalow where Betty Tate lived To the left is a laneway leading to an abandoned place we called The Monkey Puzzel named because of a Monkey Puzzel tree that grew there. Then Billy Findley who drove around in a nice Pony & Trap ,end of the road is Renwick Kerr's, Brother to Henry Of The Popular Cafe Lisburn. Amen to this long walk.
I Must say how things have changed over time Especially up The Carnreagh Rd. or as it is fondly Known as" Beverly Hills "
My sincere thanks for your patience in my reminising of my young days.
The Lord

Re: A stroll out of the Borough

Lord Downshire,

I only worked in the mill for a short time,it was my first full time job. Unfortunatey I am not sure what a "Doffer" did, I know that they worked in the spinning dept. What I do know was that some of the younger ones were very attractive and we spent our lunch time trying to get their attention.
Incidentally, wasn't Presho's pub called the "Perseverance Inn" before it was demolished.

Beano

Re:The Tidy Doffer

Yes you are Right on the money "Beano" About Presho's Pub or the Preservance Bar. Now" The Tidy Doffer"
We sure are having a HOT SUMMER. Had 2 Irish Boys here for 3 weeks & showed them the Falls & The Locks .
One of Paul Martins boats was going through which impressed them.
The Lord

Re: Re:The Tidy Doffer

Beano/Lord Downshire Talking about Presho’s pub brings back great memories. When I was turning sixteen I took a job there playing guitar on Friday and Saturday nights, and I have to say the talent was great. People came from Belfast, Stranmillis, Comber, Hillsborough, Ballycrune, anyone who loved a sing song showed up there, the atmosphere was great. Billy and Tommy Presho ran the bar, Jimmy Ward from Ravarnet was chairman. Lots of Lisburn people came out including Sammy Ledley who used to do his render of “ are you from Dixie etc” Sammy was well known for his glass eye which he used to pop out occasionally. I played there for just over four years and it was an experience I will never forget.
Terry

Is Arthur Hill Still out there ? As I have not heard from him since April 15/2005.
I wonder if you remember OLD MISS CRANE.? She ran the H,Boro Post OFFICE when it was next to Fred Johnston,s Or between Fred,s & the Monument.
She "DOTTERED" around the P.O.in the dark winter evenings holding a candle in a candelstick holder. Its a wonder she did not set the place AFIRE.
Hope you are well & still reading the Forum.
Abraham Murray said that he did not cut hair anylonger. Just SHORTER. Dickie Mc Ilwaine kept a nice riding horse down Wappin Lane close it Jordie & Mary Ellen Coburn.s
The Lord

To the BLACK MAN & his MISSUS who are planing a trip to THE OUTBACK OF AUSSIE.
Just a few essentials you will need when towing that BIG TRAILER BEHIND YOUR . There are No TIM HORTON's Coffee Shops or out there.!! Just watch out for the Black Fellow's & .
Have a safe & wonderful trip. Talk soon.
The Lord

Re: Re: A stroll out of the Borough

My Lord, thanks for your advice, we hope to have a good trip, enjoyed your stroll out of the Borough which brings back many memories, [ keep the memories flowing.] Where has Bluegate Roader, Stan Lee, & Mary Ellen gone!!!!!!, Rob what about a few tennis tales!!!,from Park Lane in the Borough. My Lord hope to talk to you before we go, will be away for 3 weeks. See ya later, The Black Man.

Your Lordship, I am still here,reading the forum,and feel I know the regular contributors. I am very glad you have taken another walk, so many names I have forgotten. I do remember Miss Crane in the post office, and the police barracks across the street from the post office. do you recall Sergant Wilson who was in charge in the barracks on the Lisburn Rd.he had two sons Ernie and Jack,we played football in the field beside the barracks.
I enjyed visiting with Dickie McIlwaine and his son last time I was home he filled me in on lots of news, especilly the flood of newcomers to the village, looking the part of country squires.
Did you know Vera Johnson married to Bobby Jellie he worked in Bells,I talked to Vera last week she is doing well and very active, My neice and nephew spent a couple of weeks at home,and sent me lots of pictures Iam amazed at the changes and building in and around H.Boro I also had Geordie McCready in school for a short time thank the Lord.
Hope you keep walking, the tales are poetry and story telling combined. Arthur. I

Re: Re: Re: A stroll out of the Borough

I knew Bobbie Jellie, but know his sister Sallie very well, she is my aunt by marriage.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A stroll out of the Borough

Star of County Down. Bobby was a good friend,it was a tragedy he died so young
A.Hill

Hi Again Arthur Hill,. I do remember Sergant Wilson ,But never played with his son's. Then came Sergant Irvine , walking around Twirling his stick.He got the nickname of[ *****yfoot] do not ask me how he got this name. Constable Service lived at the Bottom of the Nursery Hill , son's name was Leslie .Then there was a Constable David Hastings who FINED Me For NOT HAVING A LIGHT ON MY PUSH BIKE. He Emigrated to Canada & I Had an Encounter with him in 1953 [ Holloween Night]. It was a very FOGGY NIGHT & a lot of Boys were playing a Prank with a Farmers 4 Wheel Hay Wagon ,of course NO LIGHTS on it. Well I Ploughed Into it sending wheels flying in all directions & the Boys running off. Leaving me with a Badly Mangled New Car. I called the local police to report an accident & who appeared , Yes you guessed David Hastings .!!Bobby Jellie lived out by Drumlough & had a ,sister Sallie,& Mary.If I am right. Where is Vera Johnson living now.? She had a brother named Norman. You will remember Edris Coburn who married Jim Waterworth. The 2 Silcock Girls on Lisburn St. Bertha Roycroft.Elsie Clark,& Reta Mc Bride. Joe & Doris Clark of the Sweetie Shop. If my memory is right was it Sammy Wilkinson who Butchered the Pig's at G.& H. Bell's.
I see " The Star Of The Co. Down" has had a Name Change.!!!
This may give you FOOD FOR THOUGHT. The Lord.

Good day to you Lord.

Yes, I decided to make a change, you know how we ladies like to be able to switch things around!

Sallie Jellie married my uncle Bobbie. I saw her back in January when I was over in Norniron and she is doing very well.

Some of the other names you mention are familiar to me. Didn't the Roycrofts run a little tea room there on Lisburn Street? What about Sam McGill's? Of course Mrs. Clark's sweet shop was a great favorite place to visit!

Cheerio for now.

Star

Your Lordship. You have given me lots of food for thought,so many names,some I cant put faces on anymore,Hubert Nelson on the bus a few drinks to many,I remember another saying he had "Are you about" did not make much sense,but then Hubert never did make much sense. I remember Norman Topping in school also his sister Sarah.
I did not know Billy George Ritchie had a brother,but I do remember the taxi rides to the dances,in our case it was Fred Johnson and Jim Thompson,the trouble with Jim he would have two loads to the same dance,when it was time to go home No Jim,he would be gone with someone ?? arrive late and try to take everone home in one trip,lucky if you could breathe. Jim was killed in a motercycle accident.
David Hastings I knew very well,I hope you have been able to get that crime off your record, I was fined seven shillings in a court in Belfast for playing football on the street,there was a lot of crime in those days. David Hastings brings to mind a prank that went wrong,we had snow, enough to make snowballs I saw David walking down the middle of the road,so I took aim and let one go,I could see it was going straight for his head,I did not wait to see the result I took off into a yard,the next day I met him he had a black eye,"hit by a snowball did not know from whence it came"
Vera Jellie still lives in Dunbeg Park,my sister and her stayed very close friends throughout the years,visiting each other from time.
You seem to go back a good many years, do you remember Sam Patterson the shoemaker on Main St in a little shop next door to Tommy Baxter?. I did know all the names you mention, Reta McBride still lives in Hillsboro. I have a picture of Downshire football club 1912,the young men on it were the fathers of the boys my age. D.Herron,W,Magill. G.McKee,W.Rogan,W.Bamber,J.Magill,J.Walker J.Turner W.Hughes,J.Smith, J.McKee,J.Heenan.and Tommy Johnston. I am sure you will remember some of those names Hope to hear more of your memories A.H

Re: Re: Re: A stroll out of the Borough

Arthur Hill. Was Dougy Silcock the goalkeeper for the Downshire Football team, Or was it Herbie? & yes to The Star of The Co. Down Roycroft's had a wee Tea room. The Shoe Mender name was a BLUR to me. Had Jack Fleming started his plumbing shop on Ballynahinch St.in the late 1940 ? His Sister Margaret was a fine looking Gal.!!!! Sammy Magee kept a few pigs in his place next door. Then in later years it became a Posh Resturant. If I am not mistaken.
Joe Law Lived in a house[in the Yard], next to the Bank. He rented land owned by The Downshires & was a good friend of my Father. The Lord.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A stroll out of the Borough

Your Lordship,

Sammy Magee was the grandfather of my sister-in-law, Doreen Shortt. Yes it did become a fancy restaurant, first it was called TIR'NA'OG (Teernanoog) and then it was called simply, No.10. Doreen and my brother Bobby live in Park St. Maybe some of you old Hillsborough folk remember Doreen and her brother Harry, they lived in Ballynahinch St.in fact Harry still lives there, their Mother was Betty (Magee) and their father was Joe.

Beano

Your Lordship...

Sorry I haven't responded sooner.. I've been traveling the last few weeks and haven't been around a computer.
In answer to one of your recent questions - Herbie Silcock was the goalkeeper. He was also married to a sister of Bobbie Jellie, I believe her name was Madge.
Regarding Jack Fleming, I don't remember a plumbing shop next to Sammy Magee. Mrs. McBride, Rita's mother, had a sweetie shop next to Magee.
Then the Dowie family moved in. Did you know Bobby Dowie? As I've said before, I knew the Magees well.
Also Joe Short. Joe was in the army and was stationed at the castle.
You also mentionned Joe Law..I knew a Joe Law who did some farming, but I thought he lived in Lisburn Street..
Other families who lived in the town then included the Connerys and the Camacks. The Camacks lived in Arthur street and moved to Canada in the late 40's or early 50's.
Beano says his brother lives in Park Street.
I remember that in my day Ronnie Herron and Cecil McKee lived in Park Street. Mrs. McKee also had a little sweetie shop.

A. Hill