Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where is everyone

What has happened to the input on our forum, it would be disappointing if everyone was to lose interest? I don’t always have time to participate but have always enjoyed reading the comments.
Where else would I have discovered “Mad Fish” if Tom hadn’t of recommended Australian wine, or learnt that the lagan had cruises now, in addition to many other things.
I was glad to hear that everyone had a nice holiday (not like that complainer Wilson)
Beano, did you get a chance to visit your friend Daphne over on Burnbrae? The last time I was at their home (late 60’s) her husband was taking apart an old Rudge antique motorcycle and was wrapping the parts up for storage in the roof of his garage, they were real nice people.
Terry

Re: Where is everyone

Terry You took the words right out of my mouth!
I was wondering if everyone had been abducted !
I've been busy with a wedding and now it feels like a bit of an anti climax. Since last wednesday I have had a houseful of people staying...and all of them Irish! Mostly from Portadown, some from Limavady, one from Tipperary. Now they have all gone home again. My daughter Francesca, and her new husband Ciaran, have gone to Tunisia for their honeymoon so I won't see those two for a fortnight. My husband Paul is a long distance Lorry Driver so he is up in Scotland until Friday. My eldest son Christopher has gone back to Norway where he lives and works. Everyone one has gone somewhere except for me I think. Ah well! Someone has to keep the homefires burning!

Hi Terry,

I am here, up to my eyes in home improvements. Our best friends from Carrickfergus are coming out in September and guess what?, Doreen wants a few changes. Now that I am back to a reasonable fitness level, I have no excuse.Yes I did get to see Daphne in July we had a nice lunch with her, she is keeping very well and as you say a wonderful person. It is hard to believe Brendan has been dead ten years. I remember that old Rudge bike very well, he told me it would make him a lot of money some day, I don't know what ever happened to it. Daphne's sister Rosemary came to visit us for a day a couple of weeks ago, she was out visiting her older sister Audrey who lives in Bramalea. I think Audrey's husband "Doug Gilmore" was originally from Young St.

Beano

terry
i,m in an internet cafe at the moment and read you,re where is everyone? this everyone is in queensland at the moment and travelling around. it,s winter here and in victoria where i live at the moment it,s quite cold averages -2 or 0c overnight to about 10 -15 daytime./ i can hear the canada contingent groan from here?? but we find it cold so sometimes according to work conditions we move for a few months to surfers paradise in gold coast or the sunshine coast where the temps are 14c -24 c it,s in the tropics and quite a few do it .
but given a chance i,m into a cafe to read the forum it,s a worry a bit like getting a fix?
I,m planning to return to victoria end of august to get into the forum again and catch up on everything with no time constrictions
good luck to all
tom

Re: Re: Where is everyone

terry
i,m in a cafe as said and got a bit mixed up with the format. so it,s my email but in your name?? sorry about that.

Great to hear from everyone again. Maureen I have to say I agree with you about feeling a bit of an anti-climax. You have had two funerals and a wedding, and it's all over now when you realise it has gone very quiet and the housework needs doing. My big celebration is over and I gaze at the photographs and sigh and think it will be Christmas soon! And that is depressing. So somebody cheer me up then.......and I think Maureen needs cheering up too.

Liz

Liz, Its been on my mind, but somehow I seem to remember you winning a road safety competition when you went to school, and receiving your award in the council hall and there was a picture in the Star, was it you?
Terry

Hi Terry, thank you for your thoughts which cheered me up! A mixed memory here I think. I smile when I think of myself winning an award for road safety! Because I have no sense of direction, and never succeeded in learning to drive. I tell people I failed my driving lessons, my teacher more or less refusing to take me any more. So I concluded it was best for me and the whole world that I walked places, and since I have been blessed to live 10 minutes walk from the train station all is well.

What you ARE remembering was that I won Cups for tap dancing. Maureen will remember (and others)the wonderful opportunity it was for us poor children in the County Down to be trained at something! Thanks to Joan Davis for her trouble! And I loved dancing and won dancer of the year a couple of times. I remember a photo in the Ulster Star about 1958 when I was 13. We used to have our concerts in the Assembly Rooms. If you look in Mavis Heaney's book 'Life in the County Down' you will see that picture on page 242. Maureen is the 'unknown' child next to Carol Freeman. Maureen, are you like me, and still have a secret tap dance round the kitchen in moments of madness? I think our childhood lives with us and breaks out sometimes!

Terry what do you 'break out' into from your childhood? I suppose you could be sliding down a big long slide, hoping you don't fall from the top!

Better go,
Liz

Hiya Liz, Yes that's me alright....I am a closet tap dancer or should I say "Kitchen" tap dancer or maybe it's "KitchenTAP" Dancer!!! Sometimes my feet just go all by themselves without my brain having anything to do with it......Yeah...that's about the story of my life!!!
Sometimes I come on to the forum and I think to myself how weird is this.... I am conversing with people I knew in Lisburn ......but in actual fact I never really knew....but I feel as if I know you all now......Yeah I know ..that's about as clear as mud!!!! I remember you Liz from the Well Lane and from Joan Davidsons and obviously I knew you as Will's sister. I knew Terry and Kenny from Young street and I knew their dog Kim as well!! When I was about 11 I thought Terry was gorgeous and Kenny was'nt bad looking either. But........now it's as if we have all come on to a level playing field and regardless of age or sex or religion we are communicating as equals......that's what we are The Equal Exiles!!!! Okay then......time to go back to the funny farm.......the medication is wearing off......see you all soon..Maureen

Hi Liz, I still think it was for something other than dancing, (I’m stubborn) but then perhaps it wasn’t you, I’ll have to think some more about that one.
As far as breaking out from my childhood, I guess playing guitar is as close as it gets, something that I’ve done for a long time. Bye the way, falling off that slide was a pretty big event, it made radio and the front page of the Star “Boy Slides into Hospital” my claim to fame, I turned round to say something to Maureen Smith and that was it!

Maureen, I think we should all get in touch with Mavis Heaney and ask her to add an addendum to the book showing your name in the picture instead of unknown, and also to include you as part of Young St. it might help to sort out that “Tapping” thing, what do you think?
Terry

Re: Re: Re: Where is everyone

Hi Maureen,thank you for the few kind words,I will always cherish them.At least Terry rated (gorgeous)he will probably not let me live that down!Do you ever remember what happened to your neighbors Maurice and Derek,I know Maurice got married young, but do they still live around Lisburn?Ken.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where is everyone

Hiya Kenny...Maurice Norwood still lives in the county Down , as far as I know. He lives on Alanbrook Ave near the top. He married and has grown up children and is a grand dad. I spoke to him on the phone about four or five years ago. Do You remember Maureen Norwood who went to Texas many years ago? Well she was home and staying with Maurice and his wife Margaret and Patsy McKibben had given my phone number to her.( I was called after her) I spoke to her and to Maurice.
Derek married a girl from the South of Ireland and that's where he has lived for a long time now. I don't know why but Limerick comes to mind.
Did You use to go about with one of the Gilmores from the Ballynahinch Road? I use to be friends with Valerie his sister before her and Victor went to Canada. Colin was telling me that Victor and Valerie have come home again. He was also saying that their daughter won the Miss Ireland/N. Ireland contest a wee while ago.
Nice to hear from you . will talk again soon. Maureen

Hi Terry. I am puzzled how such a big event as you 'sliding into hospital' could be completely wiped out in my memory. I used to nearly 'live' in the wee park, but I know that when I got to a certain age, the only time I ever went near it was on tap-dancing days in the hut. So I think your accident might belong to this era. Can you remember the year?

You mentioned my life long friend Mavis Heaney whom I spent an evening with recently in the Tidy Doffer. I agree about amending her book, but did you know she has another one? I bought a copy but haven't had time to look at it yet. It is called "To God be the Glory" and is the personal memoirs of Rev William P Nicholson, the famous Ulster evangelist, so it will I am sure be a great read.

Liz

Hi Liz, April 1st 1958 (Aprils fools day, easy to remember) It good to hear Mavis has wrote another book, let us know what you think when you get a chance to read it.
Terry

Hi Terry, I would have been 12 then, and finished playing in the park. Actually I think I was slightly interested in boys then, and I remember one, a Michael Ferris from the Low Road who kind of hung around the County Down at times, and called himself my boy friend even though I don't think we ever even stood close together. He was very charming even though he had a glass eye. LowRoader do you remember him?
Liz

liz
I remember Michael Ferris from the Low Rd, didn,t he marry the chip shop owners daughter, the one facing the pub in the Co down?
Donald