Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ballintoy

First time I have ever been down to Ballintoy Harbour in all the years I have been to the Antrim coast. What a marvellous little place, we had our picture taken inside a huge cave and just watched the waves break over the rocks, nothing very exciting I suppose, but it was like a different world for a couple of hours.We also stopped off at Portbradden and I also walked the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. I have been told since it is not as difficult as it used to be, I can tell with my knees, this "once" was enough. Did any of you ever experience any of the above, as Liz said the Antrim coast is hard to beat, the scenery at times is breathtaking.

Beano

Re: Ballintoy

Beano,
Never been in Ballintoy.
Crossed the bridge over fifty years ago. I had a job getting back as I was petrified. Some bright spark behind me started to shake the thing. I still shudder at the thought!!!
Do they still have sheep on the island?
I agree about the Antrim coast. It must be one of the most spectacular drives anywhere in the world. People say the Big Sur in California is fantastic but having done that I still think the Antrim coast is better.
LR

Re: Re: Ballintoy

Low Roader,

To be honest I was that nervous I never noticed any sheep. I can assure you if someone had shaken that bridge with me on it, I still would be on the island.

Beano

HI BEANO, I was in Ballintoy isnt it beautiful also went to Portbradden did you go into the small chirch i just love the scenery on the Antrim coast ,i was to scared to go across the bridge ,but i did have the courage to cross the rope bridge in Vancouver Renee

Re: Re: Ballintoy

Renee,

We didn't get in to the little church in Portbradden,it was closed for some reason. I have also have crossed the rope bridge in Vancouver, it is scary enough.

Beano

I too once went over that rope bridge with a 4 year old American girl on my shoulders, the most anxious moment in my life was watching my daughters crossing it as 14 and 15 year olds.
The old cigarette ad just came into my head, they sang on UTV
" Carrick a Reid has a rope bridge."
"You cross it and shake in your shoes."
" You,ll be needin a smoke when you get there"
" and it,s sure to be Gallagher,s blues!"
sometime in the early sixties I think it was, anybody remember it?

Off in a few minutes to Austria until next Wed or Thursday, keep the old forum humming.
Donald